disgusted

fish4life

over here in essex we have a lovley brooke which is free to fish for anyone,i have fished it for over 20years and have some great days fishing there,the brooke has large carp,big roach,rudd pike,and several other species.my reason for posting this is yesterday i went for a walk along the banks to see what sort of state it was in,i was disguted by the ammount of litter that was left laying around,the farmer who owns the land around the brooke has cattle in this field and im sure if one of his cattle dies via eating or standing on something that the careless angler has left behind he will soon put a stop to us fishing there,i personal filled 3 black bags full of beers cans,sweetcorn tins,groundbait bags etc etc,please anyone who fishes there TAKE IT HOME WITH YOU,

It never ceases to amaze me that these braindeads have the energy to carry the stuff to the bankside, disposable barbecues and large pizzas etc., yet they don't have the energy, nor the common decency, to take the residue back with them. In one fifty yard stretch, last summer within a few days of June 16th, I loaded my eleven foot long dory up with anglers rubbish. And when I say loaded I really do mean loaded. God knows what their homes are like? Probably spotless, they dumped it all on the bank.

Edited by Peter Waller

Guest Ferret1959

If you find a tackle shop price tags on the rubbish return the rubbish to the shop.

Tell them one of thier customers left it and could they put a note in the window.

A notice in the shop window reminding anglers who fish the stretch and what could happen may help.

I was fishing the other day and got chatting to a nice chap. He was knowledgeable about the local area and looked like he knew what he was doing. He had some nice bream which he treated with up most care and suggested I move into his swim when he left. I did and filled a carrier bag with the litter he had left :wallbash: . I just don't understand it. Sad thing was he had his little lad with him, guess he'll grow up just like daddy.

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

Guest Brumagem Phil

I'd love to be a bailiff on some of these waters.............I wouldnt have too many clients but I'd sure have a nice clean lake for those who were responsible.

Same thing goes for dog sh*t too.

In a way I blame some of the bailiffs........Earlswood lakes is generally a disgrace. I often whilst fishing fill a carrier bag of left litter and tie it to a tree at the end of the peg for the bailiff. Why there are not more signs up reminding people to take their litter to the bin (which is in the car park they have to walk to to get to their cars anyway) and why he doesnt remind regulars who leave litter is beyond me.

I used to help bailiff a small local water. We had a lot of trouble with litter, it wasn't unusual to come away with a couple of bin liners full. Even putting bins around the place didn't help. I arrived one morning to find the bins floating in the water, and the rubbish strewn along the bank. :angry:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I'd love to be a bailiff on some of these waters.............

Trouble is, it's always the free waters that are a mess. I've never seen real litter problems on any of the club waters I've been a member of, because they've all had strict rules with severe penalties and bailiffs to enforce them. Most clubs have had the rule that if it's in your peg, it's yours, even if it was there before you arrived. Free or local authority day ticket waters are almost invariably disgusting.

Trouble is, it's always the free waters that are a mess. I've never seen real litter problems on any of the club waters I've been a member of, because they've all had strict rules with severe penalties and bailiffs to enforce them. Most clubs have had the rule that if it's in your peg, it's yours, even if it was there before you arrived. Free or local authority day ticket waters are almost invariably disgusting.

It's not always the free waters Steve, and it's not always anglers. The water I mentioned was, (it's now a housing estate) leased by several different bodies, a local tackle shop, a local club, as well as various individuals, over the years. It was the only fishing in the area that was available for disabled anglers, as well as handy for pensioners and youngsters in our area. Several of us (with permission from whoever controlled it at the time), used to undertake the job of looking after the water. This included weed clearing, general maintenance, as well as checking tickets and rubbish clearing.

The fact that it was in an urban area was a double edged sword. On the one hand, it was accessible to local anglers who had difficulty travelling to waters, ie elderly, disabled and youngsters. But, it was also accessible to the low life, that unfortunately seem to infest every neighbourhood nowadays.

We fought off several attempts to have the site built on, but alas, the owners finally decided that the problems were too much trouble and, a (IMO) valuable resource to the local community was lost.

I still see some of the youngsters we helped get a foot hold in angling, but unfortunately many of them have drifted away now. Some are getting into trouble themselves, but even they come up to me and say that they miss the 'old' times.

It seems to be endemic in todays 'throw away' society, and of course anglers are part of that society, so a percentage carry the same thoughtless behaviour onto the banks.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

One of my waters has an agreement with a local fishery college. They use our water for training and in return we have a bit of bankside maintenance. We`ve had six new swims built over the last month or so, they`re in some pretty remote places! I went for a walk down there yesterday and in each swim was fresh rubbish. Crisp packets, chocolate wrappers etc etc.

There can only be one group resonsible for this, the students.

So, what sort of future do we have when even young `uns at Fishery colleges aren`t even told about not leaving rubbish?

Oh, and just like Sipadan, I was chatting to a guy fishing the Severn. It was Opening Day 2006. Later on I walked back down the bank, lo and behold shoved into the grass was a load of hookpackets and general rubbish. It could only have been this guy who was old enough to know better. Unfortunately he had gone.........................

Edited by Severn Wolf
wolf.gif

One of my waters has an agreement with a local fishery college. They use our water for training and in return we have a bit of bankside maintenance. We`ve had six new swims built over the last month or so, they`re in some pretty remote places! I went for a walk down there yesterday and in each swim was fresh rubbish. Crisp packets, chocolate wrappers etc etc.

There can only be one group resonsible for this, the students.

So, what sort of future do we have when even young `uns at Fishery colleges aren`t even told about not leaving rubbish?

Oh, and just like Sipadan, I was chatting to a guy fishing the Severn. It was Opening Day 2006. Later on I walked back down the bank, lo and behold shoved into the grass was a load of hookpackets and general rubbish. It could only have been this guy who was old enough to know better. Unfortunately he had gone.........................