Motor on a Prowler

RobM

Everyone is entitled to do what they want to their own motor :thumbs:

Just I would never have one on mine.

NEWT; pukka comment > How about - if it is fun and safe and suits you, go for it.

GB 50hp motor providing you attach a tow line to me!

I like peoples opinion even good or bad

always 2 sides to a story and can help complete important decisions

happy days all round :)

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just knew I was right about them skis GB :D:P

Bill I would need a kayak on each foot to enable my considerable bulk to ski :D

Just to make things clear I have purchased a Cobra FnD, I have been waiting for one to come along at the right price for nearly a year. I am going to either fit a 2.5hp 4 stroke (not to sure about petrol and plastic) or an electric motor (might even fit some solar pannels for the craick). It's just a bit of fun and also an aid to trying to catch a Tuna or Thresher from Welsh waters.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

The reason "WHY" the question was ask is that before I bought my Prowler I looked at the Malibu's and noted that one of the models was produced with mountings already moulded into the body to take a motor and found that brackets were available to take the outboard, I assume from this that the motor is used but probably more in the US.I had never seen a motorized Prowler so I thought I would just ask out of interest.

Rob.

Rob

The Prowler Elite has much larger inserts in both horizontal & vertical planes in/on the rear tankwell sides for the motor mount the production version of which will be available shortly. this is designed to take a 12v electric motor (up to 55lb in the Minn Kota range) but the shape is so easily driven the smallest is more than adequate. It will also take a 'stabiliser trimaran type float to enable standing ability for fly fishing but this is still in developement. So far we've not done anything to the Prowler 13 to take these......we welcome any feedback as to needs of any kind?

Various technical wizards have tried & are trying various methods of operating the controls from the cockpit. They've chosen to do so for various reasons ranging from fitness or pure preference to targetting species where trolling hands free is desirable. We used to do a kayak called the Ambush which had a moulded motor mount & was close to being a boat..it weighed around 40 odd kilos...& that only needed a small electric to get it moving nicely so I suspect GB's 2.5 will only ever be used at low throttle settings even on the FnD. I saw a Bic at one of the international shows that has a fitting that attaches to the back of a similarly(to our Ambush) barge-like model - sort of looked like a dual bike frame!

Horses for courses as ever...just wanted to point out the possibilities.

Regards

Andrew

(JOW UK)

Yes i have one of those GB and fitted an electric motor to it just to see how it all went together. Works just fine. Particularly useful on an FnD as the paddling can be hard work after a while.

Murph

One has to ask the question:

WHY?

I'll have to agree with Simon on this , but respect those who want to go down the other channel :headhurt:

Got an Orkney longliner if any ones got a bit of spare cash :rolleyes:

Ok Prowler 13

One has to ask the question:

WHY?

I'll have to agree with Simon on this , but respect those who want to go down the other channel :headhurt:

Got an Orkney longliner if any ones got a bit of spare cash :rolleyes:

Done that for 20 years Martin. Got bored with all the maintenance and expenses for it to be an expensive garden gnome. The motor thing is a bit of fun and in no way would it be used as much as my Pelican or T140.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Hi GB.

Fish n Dive, great kayak, always liked the look of her.

Great for those relaxed fishing days where distance or speed arnt an issue.

Would love to paddle one, just to satisfy my curiosity :)

I had a Cobra Navigator which is a simular Kayak a couple of years ago, and that was realy nice to paddle, very comfortable, but a handfull in the swell.

Very high centre of gravity, but plenty of freeboard, realy roomy cockpit too.

Good luck with her, look forward to seeing some pics of her rigged with that............... 50 Merc on the arse end :clap2:

Bill. :)

Rob

The Prowler Elite has much larger inserts in both horizontal & vertical planes in/on the rear tankwell sides for the motor mount the production version of which will be available shortly. this is designed to take a 12v electric motor (up to 55lb in the Minn Kota range) but the shape is so easily driven the smallest is more than adequate. It will also take a 'stabiliser trimaran type float to enable standing ability for fly fishing but this is still in developement. So far we've not done anything to the Prowler 13 to take these......we welcome any feedback as to needs of any kind?

Various technical wizards have tried & are trying various methods of operating the controls from the cockpit. They've chosen to do so for various reasons ranging from fitness or pure preference to targetting species where trolling hands free is desirable. We used to do a kayak called the Ambush which had a moulded motor mount & was close to being a boat..it weighed around 40 odd kilos...& that only needed a small electric to get it moving nicely so I suspect GB's 2.5 will only ever be used at low throttle settings even on the FnD. I saw a Bic at one of the international shows that has a fitting that attaches to the back of a similarly(to our Ambush) barge-like model - sort of looked like a dual bike frame!

Horses for courses as ever...just wanted to point out the possibilities.

Regards

Andrew

(JOW UK)

Thanks for the info after doing some futher searching I see that Minn Kota do a saltwater engine mount trolling motor which looks the right bit of kit if it could some how be mounted on a beefed up rudder?

it could then be steered from the cockpit area.

Rob

Sorry,already on another thread but couldn't help myself-wait for the fourth clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3F5ioMZDTM

Edited by musket

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"