My day fishing with Martin James

Janet

That was a great story Janet and very well told, thanks for taking the time to post it on here.

And hats off to your teacher, he must have been really pleased with the smile on your face when you held that chub.

Our chief weapon is surprise

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post Janet, and a great description of one of anglings true gents.

I've had the pleasure of Martin's company when he has visited the Kennet over the last few months, and can understand fully what an experience it was to spend a day with such a fantastic and interesting character such as Martin. I would imagine you would have had a good laugh with him as you hear some of his stories, whilst learning an awful lot about rivercraft and the uncomplicated way he fishes.

Like you say, you are brainwashed with all the articles concerning rigs and baits that you MUST USE :wallbash: to catch fish whereas Martin shows you the true nature of fishing with the simplest and cheapest methods avaliable which are well proven time and time again.

I don't know anybody else this season who has had the catch rate of Barbel and Chub off the Kennet that Martin has had.

A great character and a true gent and someone who i am proud to say has become a good friend, i am pleased you had such a wonderful day, best of luck with you angling exploits in the future.

I don't know anybody else this season who has had the catch rate of Barbel and Chub off the Kennet

Just wanted to say welcome to AN, KW, as i see it's only your second post - and good to have someone else who fishes the Kennet! I fish the Newbury area. I tried to send you a PM, but it said you are a class of member who can't receive PMs! Maybe it's cos you're new and are being checked out? Maybe that's what it means by 'Junior Member', as like most Jms you are not that junior!

Anyway, welcome and tight lines.

john clarke

Janet - well done to you and at a guess and even though I've never met him, Martin James probably enjoyed the day as much as you did and maybe a bit more in some ways.

Jan (Mrs. Newt & also a Janet) was about the same age as you when we first got together and even though fishing was new to her, she now loves it as much as I do. About 6 months after we paired up (and before we married) we went to a largish tackle shop to buy her a fishing cap and came home with the hat and a new fishing boat since my old one was not quite steady enough for her to feel comfortable.

If it is at all possible for you to make it to the Wingham fish-in this May, you should do so. Quite a few who will be attending are also excellent and very patient teachers as we found out on our first-ever (but not last) UK visit last year.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I tried to send you a PM, but it said you are a class of member who can't receive PMs!

Until a new member makes their 15th post, they are restricted in a few ways including PMs (can't send or receive) and having all posts screened and approved by a mod before it appears on the forum.

Kennet Wanderer - let me add my welcome.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Many thanks Newt, a few more welcomes and i will reach 15 posts sooner rather than later :clap2:

I was put onto Janet's post by Martin, and if her post is anything to go on this should be a good forum to be involved in, intelligent threads and some good reading.

Thanks again for all your responses! I'm really glad you enjoyed my story.

Martin is taking me out again in March, this time to inititate me into the fine art of fly fishing! Oh boy, this is going to be fun! I've always thought it looked fascinating, now I'm going to get the chance to try it for myself! I can't wait!

I don't think I've ever heard of another top angler who gives his time so freely to help beginners. And I mean freely. He wouldn't take a penny, and I had to insist that he took at least a donation to his favoured charity (and I received a lovely thank you letter from them today).

To cap it all, I'd commented on the line he was using, which isn't available over here. I came home tonight to find he'd sent me a spool of it. It's now on my reel and itching for the weekend to arrive!

Janet

Great report, Janet. It sounds like you're really hooked :) .

Looking forward to the report of your fly fishing trip (don't forget to wear eye protection B) ).

Phil Davis

We don't own this world - we've only borrowed it from our children.