Rsa versus Commercial

stavey

I worked out that it amounted to less than one boat (99% under 10 meters) per hundred square mile. I don't think the bass have much to fear from the southern North sea fleet as it is to day.

It's the old currants in a cake argument again!

If those bass were spread across that ten mile square box with a perfectly even distribution then obviously they'd have nothing to worry about from one boat. If they were all sat on a little sandbank which happened to be the only place in that square where they can find any food then they'd have plenty to worry about.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Stavey,

yes I'm aware of the effect the solar storms have on the planet, I'm also aware of the trends in terms of temperature rise these solar events have, and the opposing effect of low solar outbursts. Like Wurzel, and probably a number of people, I have never been convinced wrt to the effect of carbon emissions and the alledged contribution to the 'greenhouse effect'. I am more inclined to believe that the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) is a greater influence on fish stocks, recruitment etc. than the 'global warming influence wrt sea temperature rise. The sun is what drives our planet and the vast majority of life on it, I don't see why the shallow seas are any different, in fact without the effects of the sun on the oceans surface waters a large percentage of the deep abyssal fauna would not be able to survive either IMO.

Simply put; the solar winds eminating from the sun strike the earth, they modify the earths climate, which in turn switches the NAO between the negative and positive phases and visa versa, these episodes can build up over a number of years to a major climax, and then dissipate in both frequency and intensity over a similar but not identical period. As you suggest there is a good correlation between the peak recruitment years for cod and these solar driven events.

Hi doc

I am no expert when it comes to the science of the sun but what i do know about comes from my radio ham days, to be able to make world wide radio coverage on most short wave frequencies it helps to know a little bit about the suns eleven year (on average) sunspot cycle, because of my other interests in this case rsa i have come about my own correlations and links.

http://www.dxlc.com/solar/solcycle.html

If you check out these graphs after the last two cycles you will notice that during the the years in the troughs (solar minimum) i have found the cod recruitment years where exceptionaly good even down here in the south i have also noticed that for the next couple of years after these that cod bans were introduced very early because the fishermen used their quotas up very quickly (not that many fishermen took any notice of these then) and consequently fished these good recruitment years out in no time, cheers........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

And herein lies a significant part of the problem.....

The whole point is that currently managers and scientists assess the sustainability of our marine resources in the context of commercial harvesting, that does not account for the requirements of sea angling, i.e. if the SSB is 100K ton, then the TAC can be 50k ton. For anglers to benefit from the hypothetical model, the SSB would need to be 130k ton, that would give the commercial sector access to an acceptable level whilst allowing anglers a realistic opportunity to catch fish. The problem is, is that the latter hypothetical model will never occur all the while that science considers resources as a valuable commercial commodity.

Doc.

Thank god. A sane and honest post, free of the green morality crap ! :) (just mho :) )

But if you destroy this system , then given we are in the EU, is there a route to anything else? It would be nice just to hear some positive ideas from RSA reps; a vision if you like. I for one am sick fed up of yet more control of my life by groups claiming to have my interests at heart.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Guest challenge

Recreational versus commercial? In my book I believe that this battle is a smoke screen that is deluding everybody away from the real offensive. the battle of the future is one that we should be preparing ourselves for, because if you think that commercials have influence and power, then I am afraid that what is about to hit the recreational fraternity will be nothing short of bureaucratic slaughter come the outcome. Recreational versus the greens of Brussels. Be warned.

Regards.

Recreational versus commercial? In my book I believe that this battle is a smoke screen that is deluding everybody away from the real offensive. the battle of the future is one that we should be preparing ourselves for, because if you think that commercials have influence and power, then I am afraid that what is about to hit the recreational fraternity will be nothing short of bureaucratic slaughter come the outcome. Recreational versus the greens of Brussels. Be warned.

Regards.

Please enlighten us Challenge and save us the agony of guessing.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Recreational versus the greens of Brussels. Be warned.

Are you referring to this Challenge?

From Today's Fishing News with a front page headline of

Knifed in the Back

Leading environment group WWF is taking the Council of the European Union to the European Court of Justice for what is says is "failing to follow their own rules regarding cod fisheries and therefore breaching EU environmental law"

Quote from George McRae:

"The industry wil be side-lined or wiped out at every opportunity in these talks becasue the green lobby will be king".

Certainly has ruffled a lot of feathers!

Now if the catching sector was to make just a few concessions, it could find 1 million or so anglers as valuable allies.

Will that happen do you think?

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Knifed in the Back

Quote from George McRae:

"The industry wil be side-lined or wiped out at every opportunity in these talks becasue the green lobby will be king".

Now if the catching sector was to make just a few concessions, it could find 1 million or so anglers as valuable allies.

Go on enlighten us a bit more.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Knifed in the Back

Quote from George McRae:

"The industry wil be side-lined or wiped out at every opportunity in these talks because the green lobby will be king".

Someone controls or represents 1 million anglers then Leon? :rolleyes:

This angler happens to believe the commercials are right about the threat from the green movement, so thats it down to 999,999...

You make light of the WWF taking this issue to the Europeon court, but it sounds like dangerous stuff to me anyway. Suppose the WWF win and fisheries policy is thereafter dictated by the greens, through the tool of the EU courts. Will i still be allowed to fish for cod in a couple of years time or will ALL cod fishing be banned which is what ICES advises surely?

Will THAT happen do you think?

Chris

btw Barrie Deas describes the commercials issue with this legal challenge, here:

http://www.fishupdate.com/

Though you need to subscribe (free) to get access to the article.

No implications for anglers at all, Our green friends will no doubt see us right in the end ! :blink:

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net