INSHORE FISHERIES WORKING GROUP

glennk

£45 to fish for wrasse ? Some people are far too easily pleased Ian - but I guess its about what your used to. Anglers who have come to whitby for many decades have got used to cod fishing and big cod at that.

Would you settle for this

DSCF0023.jpg

When you could have this ?

30-pound-uptider.jpg

pipe-fish-paul.jpg

I'll take them onto the rocks for nothing and will catch as many wrasse as you.

Nigel lives in Hull and fishes a piece of coast a long way away from Whitby. I understand he was helping local skipper John Whitton locate the local bass stocks - Maybe they do exist ?

And now your quoting wurzel - Oh dear Ian :lol: .

How about the piece of research highlighted by your good friend Seaside ???

http://www.marlab.ac.uk/FRS.Web/Uploads/Do...20Fisheries.pdf

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glenn how about you answering the questions I asked about how to do what you are suggesting?

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Guest challenge
Hi Glen

I am not suggesting for one moment that there is any science or that is desirable. I personally believe 80 stone of fillets is to much for 10 lads but that is only my opinion.

Who actually targets them. From Nigels reports there were box loads of them.

A few of my mates do well from your neck of the woods on the Pollack from the inshore reefs. They don't shout about it because they are very territorial and can easily be fished out.

Some People pay me £45 for a day on the wrasse. Its literally a fish a drop.

A few of the Weymouth boats will spend days just fishing for Plaice.

The Porgies are an unknown quantity Glen but Dave Morton a self confessed novice organised three trips and had fish on two them and lost others. This was literally a trial. Was it the best time of year?Are there more fish inshore? Only putting in the hours will show the potential. Interestingly you can still catch Cod, Ling and Haddock whilst fishing for the sharks at anchor and the skipper would save a fortune on fuel costs.

If Wurzel is right about Cod movements and global warming then the Whitby fleet may be forced into change. I am not saying the likes of Paul could and should change overnight but offering regulars a variety must be worth considering.

I thought that one charter skipper from Whitby did totally change his fishing practices when taking anglers out to catch fish.

John Brennan decided that the future of angling was to be found in long offshore trips. Where anglers could enjoy good fishing and a holiday at the same time. Targeting cod, but targeting cod where they where in abundance. Fishing where people had not fished before. Travelling great distances to new untouched marks.

http://www.chieftaincharters.com/OFFSHORE%20OPTION.htm

His anglers (who came in there thousands) experienced fishing they had never experienced before. Even anglers who had experienced the good old days of cod fishing from Whitby have stated (on this forum) that they had never had it so good.

What happened, they where ridiculed and openly criticised for being to successful and therefore giving anglers a bad name.

Edited by challenge

QUOTE: Steve Coppolo

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts Yesterday, 03:57 PM Post #36

Group: Members

Member No.: 7,682

QUOTE(thedogs @ Mar 4 2007, 03:07 PM)

Hi Steve, dont you sit on the E&S,S,F,C any more? if not more the pitty.

At the moment I still sit on the SFC, I just don't know how long for. At least on the SFC I have the same say as all the other RSA reps who sit on them, ie, none.

QUOTE(nick @ Mar 4 2007, 03:17 PM)

Why not encourage all the North East anglers to join SACN and run it in the way that they desire?

Glad to see that you've still got your sense of humour Nick.

--------------------

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES

Sit tight Steve better to be there than not however futile it may seem these asre early days. As you know there is a twenty year plan so you could have a long wait. lolol

Please Please check this out!

http://www.justgiving.com/tacyedewick?ref=

I thought that one charter skipper from Whitby did totally change his fishing practices when taking anglers out to catch fish.

John Brennan decided that the future of angling was to be found in long offshore trips. Where anglers could enjoy good fishing and a holiday at the same time. Targeting cod, but targeting cod where they where in abundance. Fishing where people had not fished before. Travelling great distances to new untouched marks.

http://www.chieftaincharters.com/OFFSHORE%20OPTION.htm

His anglers (who came in there thousands) experienced fishing they had never experienced before. Even anglers who had experienced the good old days of cod fishing from Whitby have stated (on this forum) that they had never had it so good.

What happened, they where ridiculed and openly criticised for being to successful and therefore giving anglers a bad name.

All credit to John and Michelle. They have diversified and found a niche. Well done to the pair of them.

Shame about the crew though :clap2: :clap2:

Just a joke challenge. No offence intended

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

£45 to fish for wrasse ? Some people are far too easily pleased Ian - but I guess its about what your used to. Anglers who have come to whitby for many decades have got used to cod fishing and big cod at that.

Would you settle for this

DSCF0023.jpg

When you could have this ?

30-pound-uptider.jpg

pipe-fish-paul.jpg

I'll take them onto the rocks for nothing and will catch as many wrasse as you.

Nigel lives in Hull and fishes a piece of coast a long way away from Whitby. I understand he was helping local skipper John Whitton locate the local bass stocks - Maybe they do exist ?

And now your quoting wurzel - Oh dear Ian :lol: .

How about the piece of research highlighted by your good friend Seaside ???

http://www.marlab.ac.uk/FRS.Web/Uploads/Do...20Fisheries.pdf

Hi Glen

I said if Wurzel is correct and was meant tonue in cheek. I personally don't believe global warming has anything to do with the poor stocks. As for the Wrasse thing,most my trips are 2-5 day charters so the lads will have mixed fishing with a day on the tope and a day on the pollack and wrasse and perhaps a day snitching on the species in competition with the other boats. 20 species a day is not uncommon and bloody good fun. We have 5 species of wrasse by the way.

How did you get on last night?

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

All credit to John and Michelle. They have diversified and found a niche. Well done to the pair of them.

The same thing could be said of what's left of the commercial fleet, especially the smaller inshore boats.

I fish to live and live to fish.

I understand from what I've read, that the Inshore Fisheries Working Group will not have any direct representation from either BASS or the SACN.

Thinking ahead, could a member of the NFSA please explain what voting rights the membership have, under the Federations new Ltd. status.

Cheers

Hi Wurzel,

Are you getting many 'days at sea' with this weather?

Hello Leon

Not a lot which is quite normal for this time of year, just as well cos I'm not allowed to catch much any way.

I doubt I could go to sea and fish legally at the moment.

More time on the river before the season ends.

I fish to live and live to fish.