strangest thing caught

Westie

Had a good day's fishing yesterday. Caught a couple of bass and then.... a speedboat. Took a nice load of line and skinned my thumb in the process. :mad:

It seems that throughout my fishing life, I've always caught anything other than fish. A few weeks ago, I pinned a tiny shrimp through its head on a 1/0. I've caught a bat on a backcast on an evening fly session. Not caught a 'Thames Trout' yet, but only a matter of time.

So what is the most bizarre thing caught by people of AN. (No refs to STIs thanks. Not that I'm suggesting anything. Where is that spade.... this hole could be dug a little deeper...) :o:D

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Widsurfers are a lot easier to land than speedboats but they put up a hell of a fight when you try and put them in a your fish bag. I always practice catch and relase with that species now, although I did once catch a very tasty looking one but I don't think the wife would have liked it if I had taken her home :D

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Hiya,

over the years I've had a few unusual captures... A diver off Arrochar pier.. hooked on a set of a makkie feathers.. he fought well :)

A speed boat during a comp off the Greenock esplanade.. got the last laugh with that one as he knacked his engine due to the amount of line an flying weights :) .. we even asked him for our gear back :)

Windsurfers & canoeists while pike fishing, also Cormorants, bat's, gannets, guillemots, seals and numerous gulls.

The scariest one ever was when sea trout fishing on a local river at night.. I caught an old latex glove which filled up when I retreived it.. it looked just like a hand that had been cut off

Another scary one was when I was helping net out a reservoir, I was in the water up to my chest holding the net up when one of those very lifelike doll baby's floated to the surface right in front of me.. scared the proverbial out of me that did

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

The dunbar RIB lifeboat surprised me coming full pelt into the harbour one day coming back from a training exersize, Line wrappoed round its prop (40 lb ) and the guy on the front went flying forward rather fast, before the line snapped but they were rather p,ed off unwinding all that line off there prop,

Ive caught swans and ducks on fly rod, as theve swam right over my line,

Worst ever was catching my own head, Flyfishin miles from my house i hooked my head and it just woodnt come off, Had this great white fluffy fly on my head traveling back on the train then bus, needl;ess to sday i got a few looks, And also the bloomin nurses larfed there nut off when i went to get it takin off :D

Shaun

Tight Lines

Shaun

caught a rod and reel once ,both cheap crap though and the lable had come of the rod :rolleyes:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hi

Saw a guy catch, rubgy tackle with a coat and successfully unhook a full grown herring gull in Howth Harbour many years ago. Bird flew off none the worse for wear and afterward he discovered it had left him a nice present all over his coat!

He came into the same pub afterwards which provided endless entertainment...

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

nice catches above...to add to that I recently hooked a large gill net which has appeared form nowhere across my local beach...not happy and yes I will be reporting it!

But on a lighter note...turned up at a course venue many years ago...Dawn mist rising across glassy water, to see a small float moving across the lake. Wacked on a lead as fast as I could, cast just behing the trolling float...caught the line...pulled the other end in to find a complete rod and reel...and then managed to play an 18lb 7oz common carp to the net on the drowned tackle...the biggest I ever caught at the venue!!!

Hiya,

Can go better than that bryan... I've had a few of them in the past including 1 I caught in 450' of water on a 20lb class outfit.. that was a killer getting it up

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"