Bait Digging ?

glennk

If that has led to things that anglers are only just now waking up to, and the implications of those issues, already well-shaped now, then surely much of the blame lies with those who chose to simply stick their heads in the sand, leave it to someone else, couldn't be bothered etc. thought that the world simply stays as it is, with no need to keep an eye out for changes upon the horizon and buried in government consultations, then those too are hardly blameless.

Or were mis-guided enough to think that their reps actually represented their views.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or were mis-guided enough to think that their reps actually represented their views.

Jim,

I think that angling reps try and represent us to the best of thier ability but there are a lot of different views out there and when it comes to the actual decision making process they are far outnumbered by the non angling representatives. From what I have seen the anglers in general dont express their views until after something happens which they consider to be detrimental... a kind of no win position to be in.

I have just been asked to join the NSFC as an angling rep and have accepted the position but I have some serious misgivings as to what I have let myself in for. If licenses for digging and fishing for that matter are introduced I would expect to get some flack as a backlash from unhappy anglers but provided I have done all I can to prevent it happening I would consider myself to have done a good job.

I can just see the bait digging police with lines of 5 year olds handcuffed to the railings for having a bucket with crabs and shrimps in after a rock pooling session and the subsequent humiliation of being thrown out of the cubs for having a criminal record, a rather unworkable law to enforce but for now all we can do is oppose its introduction and if the enevitable happens try to ensure its a cheep and workable system.

For now its a survey done by a university and a lot of speculation as to its outcome. If those of us who know about it make sure others now what is going on , particularly making sure our angling reps on the SFC'S know then at least we can be prepared for any up and coming debate.

Would I be right in saying that a vast majority of anglers are like me who consider bait to come from the tackle shop ( the same as milk comes from Tesco's) without ever stopping to think of its original origin. This would mean that the impact of a bait digging license would mainly be on commercial diggers and the few hardcore anglers who collect their own bait, with a subsequent small increase in bait prices to those who buy their bait from the shops which is likely to go unnoticed by the majority when hidden amongst the cost of the other bits and pieces you buy when you visit any shop. I would be intrested in hearing from people who collect their own bait as to how a change in the laws is likely to affect them.

Regards

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Jim,

I think that angling reps try and represent us to the best of thier ability but there are a lot of different views out there and when it comes to the actual decision making process they are far outnumbered by the non angling representatives. From what I have seen the anglers in general dont express their views until after something happens which they consider to be detrimental... a kind of no win position to be in.

Hi i will answer for the other 999,999 anglers who have the head in the sand or haven't bothered yet, or haven't answerd.

1. More and bigger fish.

2. Licences will then be discussed but only on a levell playing feild with commercial input.

3. bag limits only after evidance produced.

4. Commercial bait digging licenced.

If there is any moaning afterwards pass the flack onto me. Thats not a lot to ask for or to negociate for is it? Keep it simple. Otherwise defra will cost us money. The only thing then that will go wrong is when defra reneges on something.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

HI Dave,

I'm sure you already have, but if you haven't then you should also make a post to the NESA Forum and the Angling North East Forum as these will be the anglers you will get the flack from.

I would also suggest you speak to Nigel as he has already dealt with similar issues with the NESFC and presented a very good argument indeed.

I will pm you to discuss further.

Cheers - Glenn

Interesting read.

i second that Glennk

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Barrry,

In reply to your wishies I would say that for the time being they are all hypothetical problems and desires. We cant oppose or be against something untill it is actually proposed or introduced.

I am with you on the fact I want to catch more and bigger fish ...after that we need to take one step at a time.

A fascinating read there on bait digging. Its a strange anomally that crustacians are in control of the SFC's but worms by the district council. Apparently this is being addressed by the marine bill to bring everything under the sfc's. The impression given by the NSFC wesite is that they control all bylaws from high tide line to 6 miles out....I wonder how worms aren't included!

Cheers

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Is it the high or low tide mark Dave ?

You can see how bait digging could become a problem - infact quite a major one in areas where there are not a lot of places to dig.

In my area most people dig in a big estuary to the north. There are Millions of worms there, there never appears to be any less and it sustains all the anglers who dig there. Living 40 miles away I seek out worms from smaller bays closer to home, there are much fewer worms but far fewer diggers so again there is no problem.

What happens if the Bill Oddie Brigade get the big estuary off limits to anglers ? well They would seek out the smaller bays and over crowd them, then the small boat owners complain they cant get their boats in the water for anglers digging holes and they get their bay closed and we all move to the next one where the same happens again then suddenly we have nowhere to dig.

One thing I will always say about lugworm is the beds go much further than are visible at low tides and anglers cant get to the worms underwater, then when there is a storm some more worms wash in. This ensures there is a constant supply. No need for the Bill Oddies to worry really.

Glenn,

The problem was highlighted in that presentation on bait digging. The sea fisheries are responsible for the area from the high water mark to six miles out, but curiously they are not responsible for the worms only the crustaceans. Its the local councils who introduce bylaws to prevent bait digging and usually as a direct result of complaints by the Twitchers or boat owners for digging in the wrong place and causing a hazzard.

The code of conduct for bait digging is a great idea and if everyone stuck to the advice given in that article it would go a long way to reduce the number of complaints. It would be great if councils were to designate more areas for worm digging chosen for their minimal impact on birds but this is unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future. The RSPB is a powerfull organisation with a large and active membership and when compared to the number of anglers who go out to dig bait the anglers are forever going to be on the loosing side in any proposed legislation. Its intresting to note that on one issue the Wildfowlers association and the RSPB joined forces to bring about a ban on bait digging and I cant imagine a more unlikely partnership.

As I type this I have just recieved in the post a letter from Defra confirming my appointment and to quote directly from the paperwork they enclose.

"SFC's regulate sea fisheries in their district by means of Bylaws. Bylaws can regulate fishing methods and fishing gear, restrict fishing seasons, set minimum sizes for fish and shellfish, manage and protect shellfish beds or control fishing for environmental purposes."

This reads to me that the only time a SFC would be involved with bait digging is if damage to shellfish beds or the coastal environment were involved.

Cheers

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org