Closed Season Pike Fishing

Elton

I hope all you year round pikers and anglers for that matter, reap nothing but degraded sport for your efforts. :wallbash::angry::angry:

You say "and anglers" - do you mean that no-one should fish in winter ? or summer ?

So according to what you say, what should we not fish for; and at what times of the year; and why ??

Scottish Specimen Hunter

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You say "and anglers" - do you mean that no-one should fish in winter ? or summer ?

So according to what you say, what should we not fish for; and at what times of the year; and why ??

is it dolphins in august because their supposed to be intelligent?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I would have thought that trout, salmon and carp would have been a good early spring species to target, and possibly tench.

Re the one species only angler, been there, got lots of T-Shirts with pike on them, tend to miss out on so much. That, and the fact that pike flourish on neglect.

May is a very good time for lure fishing for pike and if carried out with due care should have no greater adverse effect on pike stocks than bait fishing for them in the winter.

I don't think it's a good idea to fish for them through the summer unless you're very proficient, so the fish are landed very quickly and out of the water for seconds rather than minutes.

I am very aware of the damage to pike stocks that summer fishing can cause, but equally aware of the damage that incompetent winter pikers can do.

I therefore object to zedheads attitude, assuming his comment was directed at me, but I accept Peter's comment about other species, it's just that May is in my opinion the optimum time to lure fish for pike.

I think we had better let john wilson know what everyone thinks about summer lure fishing for pike as he says its the best time , i personally do lure fish for pike in the summer and many other species like salmon, seatrout perch chubb etcetc ,only because im a sea angler through winter , but im starting to get the jist of it ,im a bad boy for doing so according to die hard pikers ,

This is such an old chestnut but every year I read different veiws and theories! keeps it interesting.

Despite being (or should I say having been) in favour of the old closed season Ive never really felt that actually fishing for actual spawning fish is a problem! basicly because fish actually spawning are totaly diss interested in feeding and so therefore dont get caught! As Steve sugests fish which have just finnished spawning should be surely at their most vunerable? That said with pike spawning so much much earlier than other indigenous course species they were never "protected" by the closed season any way!! Due to that Pikers have always fished and caught them at this supposedly "vunerable time"! with no obvious problem? And maybe that is the problem? As Ive wrote many times before Ive experience of many ,many pike swimming away apparently unharmed only for them to die later.Maybe this has happened with many post spawning fish weve caught? Or isnt it such an issue? I honestly dont know.

Some species (in fact most) pre spawning discharge spawn/milt when handled if caught (cant be a good thing?) but Ive never had or seen a pike do this no matter how ripe.

Summer Piking is another often discussed issue.Its not for me but I accept that done correctly it is perfectly safe....trouble is that phrase "done correctly" most no sorry "many" pikers I see no matter what the time of year dont get it right!

No matter how keen a piker I am by the end of my season (I stop for several reasons at the end of March/beginning of April but do fish Scotland and Ireland later in the Spring) Im quite glad to hang up the gear and look at other species.If I wasnt an all rounder Im sure that I wouldnt fish so much anymore.

"traditional spring" fish for me was always trout but with the closed season on stillwaters having long gone Ive gradually come to accept tench and more recently big bream as my Spring targets as well.

So what am Im saying is right or wrong? I dont really know in all honesty! Choice is a personal thing I would just ask each to respect others choice but also all to practice their choice responsibly.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Why not just go to the Nene? It seems to be the most popular time to fish for them.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Spring probably is the easiest time to catch pike, with them going on their annual binge. Apparently they eat over 25% of their annual intake during May. Being easy to catch might be good for anglers, but can pike withstand the pressure?