Little pond advise

dav

There is a little pond near were i work , which has little perch ,rudd and ghost carp in upto 12lb i think , never seen them this big exept on a pic , the pond is absoloutly over grown with american pond weed , there is possibly more species in which i have not seen as yet , the thing is ive just heard that a local company has planning permission to fill it in and re settle the pond somewere else , the pond has been there for years ,and its matured lovely with a load of wildlife around it , got told years ago pple put chubb and other fish in it out of one of the local rivers , one side of the pond is very shallow with a load of bullrushes and reeds, in summer you can see the carp swimming through lanes which they have created through swimming through them , , im gutted that a company can just apply for permission to fill it in and get it , it was a council pond which i dont think exists no more , i wish there was newts in there ,then they wouldnt be able to move it would they ??? i also know there is cray fish in it , as i seen one when i attempted to remove abit of the pond weed last year , its absoloutly thick as anything could barely walk through it as it was that thick, the pond at its deepest is about 5 to 6 ft deep ,

i might have a go later actually to see if i can winkle a carp out on crust, which im not familiar with doing .... what a shame ....

We had the same thing a couple of years ago dav.

Before they could fill it in and build, they had to do an environmental impact study. They even had to bore test holes to see where the water table was.

We managed to stop it twice, but the pond got 'mysteriously' polluted, and most of the fish died.

The EA rescued what they could, but it paved the way for the builders.

It's now a housing estate. :(

I'd get in touch with the local EA office and make sure that they are aware. In the worst case, they can at least save the fish, and relocate them.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

You could always try and set up a petition to the council objecting to the idea, and when the planning department put their notice out -hit them with the signatures. I believe they cannot proceed if there are serious objections to planning permission.

WATCH the pond - companies have paid people to "accidently" do something to tip the balance their way! If you inform the council before hand and something "happens" they cannot give planning permission until the person responsible for the "happening" is charged!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

All the companies the estate did sign a major petion , against the work but heard the other day that they had got permission , not sure if envoiomental surveys have already been done , there was a right up about it in the local gazzette last year with save our pond petition , obviously the local council were involved , but heard the otherr day wed lost and they had been granted permission..i wonder what they would do with the fish ? ...although.....................................................................

our dads just built a bigger pond like :rolleyes:

Dav, you mentioned crayfish. If these are native white-clawed crayfish you have a potential weapon. I've not sure to what extent they're protected under UK law but a phone call to your local wildlife group could be well worthwhile.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net