Stupid MULLET

basshead07

Jay,

The late Des Brennan described mullet as urban mullet and rural mullet. The urban ones had got use to feeding on things such as discarded crab-pot bait and holiday-makers sandwiches. Rural mullet filter feed on algae and other small items. The urban mullet are relatively easy to catchy and the rural ones extremely difficult. I tend to go along with this description.

I also think there is another factor to do with temperature in that mullet in warmer water feed more freely than those in colder water. I started going across to Ireland in the early eighties to fish the pairs match in Dingle. Most years one or two anglers fishing on the bottom with standard baits such as lug managed to catch a mullet. It happened to me in 1985. I caught a mullet of 3-14 on Inch Strand on lug tipped with ragworm. There are thousands of mullet in the Humber which is fished regularly by a good number of anglers but nobody (to my knowledge) has ever caught a mullet on standard baits!

Another factor with mullet is that they spend quite a lot of time not feeding. Quite of they will show no interest in baits and then suddenly switch to feeding mode and go straight in and take it.

In conclusion the question you should be asking yourself is are the mullet “urban” mullet used to feeding on something you can put on a hook and are they actually feeding in the area you are fishing or just moseying about?

Regards,

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

some times it might only take a few seconds to hook a mullet overtimes days, thats the challenge :headhurt: . but when you do get your first one as well as the grin your have from ear to ear as it storms off your also be hooked yourself. As there is nothing more rewarded than the mullet for the time spendt hunting them. keep at it and enjoy :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
Yes but Vagabond is referring to the closest match to 'Bonefish' we have in the UK and quite right he is too.
Yeah I know.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote