new at fishing (age 34 years old)

jace1acc

Hi all.

Please help, I would love to take up fishing although i am now 34 years old, i am need of a new hobby and i would love to take my son (aged 9) with me for some quality time :rolleyes:

however i think i will need some lessons but only seem to be able to find fly fishing lessons... but dont know the first place to look or where to go for coarse fishing / lessons.

I live in Witney in Oxfordshire also not far from swindon

any help would be great

many thanks Jace

Welcome to angling and welcome to Anglers' Net :)

It may be worth you trying here:

http://www.paauk.com/

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Welcome to AN Jace, your certainly not the oldest newcomer to angling weve got on here, so don't worry about asking 'daft' questions. There are plenty of us that give 'daft' answers. ;)

We have some members that live in your area, so when they spot this, they might be able to give you specifc advise about your local angling prospects. Or even arrange to meet you and show you the ropes.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi all.

Please help, I would love to take up fishing although i am now 34 years old, i am need of a new hobby and i would love to take my son (aged 9) with me for some quality time :rolleyes:

however i think i will need some lessons but only seem to be able to find fly fishing lessons... but dont know the first place to look or where to go for coarse fishing / lessons.

any help would be great

many thanks Jace

Hi Jace

If South Cerney isn't too far away for you, email info@scac.org.uk

Hi Jace

I'm 37 and a newbie too, you'll find you're in good hands with this lot.

I'm looking for a place to take lessons too.

All Things Piscatorial was recommended on Fishermans Blues/talkSport.

and they have a page on Oxfordshire

has anyone any experience of being coached ?

Tony

Tony

Welcome to AN and a good choice of hobby. You will find everyone helpfull here, ask at your local tackle shop as well as they may know of a local coach. They will also help with advise on tackle and permits needed or where there may be some free fishing locally to try. You will have to get a rod licence from the post office, your son is ok until he is 12.

I would suggest that to start you don't get carried away with expensive fishing tackle just in case you don't enjoy it, though I would find that hard to believe but it has been known to happen!

Find somewhere that has plenty of fish so that your son, more than you, will catch plenty to keep his concentration going. I know my 11 yr old needs to be kept busy or he soon becomes bored. Don't set your sights to high, just enjoy every fish you catch.

I spent all day Saturday on a local match lake with Liam and one of his friends that had not fished before and we were catching all day the biggest was a 3lb bream that Liam had and we had a great time.

Just enjoy it and keep it simple. Good luck

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

There's no harm in trying Linear Fisheries, but they're mainly specimen waters and rather expensive nowadays for day tickets- though they do have a beginners' lake. I wasn't aware they do coaching, but I may be wrong

Have you tried your nearest fishing tackle shop? They're usually helpful, and would tell you about the local angling clubs. They'd certainly advise you the best local waters to try for someone new to fishing, and would give sensible advice about what tackle to buy to start up - better than going to Argos or somewhere!

I expect you're aware that you can't fish the rivers till 16th June, but many still waters and canals can be fished at this time of year.

john clarke