Float rigs

fish_surrey

I've only been fishing for a short time now and have started off with feeder fishing with good success. I have had a go at float fishing, but with zero success.

My set up has been to put 3-5 shot (depending on my waggler/bodied waggler size) about 6 inches from the hook and fix my waggler with a rubber (I should say that I fish still waters), is this set up okay? I've also heard that using a pole float can produce some great results, is this true? and if so, how would I set that rig up?

Fish Surrey

Generally with a waggler type float you want as much of the weight as possible right next to the float, with one small shot near the hook to get the bait down. You'll find this much easier to cast than having all the weight near the hook!

You'll also need to go to the tackleshop and buy a plummet, (in fact buy two, they are easy to lose :( ) I prefer the bell shape ones with a bit of cork at the bottom.

At the start of each session use the plummet to get the float set to the correct depth so that the bait is just touching the bottom - attach the plummet to the hook, and attach the float using either 2 small shot or a float rubber, you can then adjust the depth so that the float sits right in the water, and be confident your bait will be in the right place. once you are happy with the depth remove the plummet and correctly shot the float.

Fishing this way your bait should look natural to the fish and be with the loose feed you are throwing in.

Another tip - when casting, cast a bit further out than you actually intend to fish, and then put the rod tip under the water and reel the float back into position, this will sink your line below the wind and surface tow, and should stop the float keep being dragged out of position.

There are times where you'd want to fish with the bait up in the water, or overdepth with some line laying on the bottom, and with experience you'll slowly work it all out, also experiment with the position of the shot near the hook, adjusting that can have a big effect on the bites you get and how easy they are to hit!

Mat

Mat

No not a very good set up mate! Im sure some one will be able to post a link to a site that will tell you all about it and give diagrams of shotting patterns etc.

However just quickly may I offer some basic tips on still water float fishing-

Put your waggler/bodied waggler on to your main line by putting the line through the bottom eye only (even better buy a quick change float adapter from your tackle shop.This is simply a piece of rubber tube with an eye in one end that you push the bottom of the float in.It means you can change the float without having to break all your tackle down.) Place a split shot either side of the float eye on the line to lock it in position. about 10-12" from the hook put on a small No8 shot then 12-18" above this a No4. Put the rest of the shot (the bulk shot) required to cock the float correctly (leave about a 1/2" maximum of the tip showing) around the same distance above this. Having the bulk shot in this position will be ideal for fishing on the bottom as it will get the bait down quick and hold the rig steady.If you think the fish are feeing above the bottom then simply put the bulk shot either side of the float with just the smaller ones further down like Ive allready mentioned.This will let the bait fall very slowly and you can catch fish that intercept it "on the drop"

With float fishing there are to other important things to do in order to help you catch.First of all if fishing on the botom (the best place to start normally) You need to make sure your float is set to the correct dpth to ensure the bait is on the bottom! Best way to do this is to set up your tackle at the aproximate depth you think the water may be.Hook on a plummet (a small lead weight that can be attached to the hook) cast out.As the plummet is heavy if your float is set too shallow it will pull it under.Obviously just keep adjusting the dpth till your float just comes into veiw.If your float doesnt disapear then you have either got the depth exact with your guess (most unlikely!) or it is set too deep. Once again adjust till it is just under.Once you have the depth then you need to decide how you want to position your bait ie just touching the bottom or a few inches of line laying on the bottom.The choice is often down to the conditions.If your float is getting dragged about by wind or drift then ad a few inchs as this laying on the bottom wil act like an anchor.In ideal conditions have it just touching.

The depth set properly the next basic is to allways cast to that same spot! To get th fish feeing around your hook bait start introducing a few maggots around your float every 5 minutes or so. Not loads just 10-20 each time.Keep doing this untill you star geting bites regular then just put them in ech cast.

Very basic but try starting like this and reading up on more advanced stuff as you start to get more expeienced.Any queries just ask.

EDIT: Matts beat me to it!

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

In addition to that already mentioned I use a pre-weighted insert waggler and hold it in position with float stops while I plumb and adjust the depth. Then I just put on additional shot to the sinking pattern I'm after. Usually this is shirt button style with little or no shot on the hooklink aiming to catch fish 'on the drop'

Tony

pole floats are only good when used with a pole.

then they can be as good as you have been told they are, do not try and fish a pole float with a rod and reel.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

The only time to use pole floats on a running line would be when fishing moving water on a long rod and when fishing the margins on a lake. In these situations they are great but I cant think of any other time I would use them.