USA imports

rogd

I've just received 2 reels from Basspro Shops in the good old US of A.

Arrived in 9 days, no tax and very reasonable postage.

Have a chat with Debbie on the International desk 001 417 863 2499' she's a star.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a chat with Debbie on the International desk 001 417 863 2499' she's a star.

Don't speak too soon, I received my demand for import duty about 10 days after the goods arrived <_<

As far as I'm aware the Post Ofice holds goods until the duty is paid.

My order from Basspro was sent using Fedex and they sent me a bill 10 days later

I had the same thing with Fed-Ex :wallbash:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

so was any additonal cost mentioned upon purchase .. ? i ve just got 2 Gaspachi hatches and a Digital Camera from US ... not had any demands for any extra as yet .! :blink:

It will depend on how cute the guy who types up the paperwork in the USA is - or how lucky you get with what they put on the paperwork.

Also depends on whether it gets pulled by a Customs Officer. Value for duty will also include the shipping cost - and then add VAT.

I got a rod for free once - from Orvis as a gift. It cost me £126!!! Still, for a Trident TLS is was a good price.

Keep your fingers crossed. Sometimes you will pay, other times you will get away with it - unless the carrier can make some more money by charging for the "service" of doing the import paperwork.....hence Fedex making a bit extra out of their "admin fee".

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

You've got me worried now!

I've just ordered trough the e-bay a Humminbird Matrix 47 3D fishfinder from the USA for $532. How much import duty I'll have to pay?

Vlad

The biggest concern you have is that customs will inspect it & find that it is not CE approved & confiscate it. That's a bigger concern than the duty! It's actually illegal to import or use non CE approved product & there could also be a fine applicable - most US companies selling particularly via ebay either don't know this or choose to ignore it in pursuit of your money. If it hasn't got a CE

Yes I have an axe to grind as we're the UK importer but you'll appreciate that we (Johnson Outdoors) own Humminbird so the US sales are as important as the UK ones & I deal weekly with the aftermath of people trying to find a way to get their money back - Unless the US dealer will do so (& bear in mind he then has to admit the illegal export) then it ain't going to happen. I've heard every 'reason' in the book from unscrupulous UK & US retailers as to why it isn't or shouldn't be so or is unlikely to be checked etc but if you import non-approved products then you run the risks above.

I post this as a warning to all... we love to sell Humminbird whichever side of the Atlantic but we hate our customers being misled, put at risk of prosecution, having product confiscated or plain ripped off. I know there is at least one contributor here who knows the law from the enforcement perspective who has issued similar warnings in the past.

Regards

Andrew

(Johnson Outdoors UK)