Carrying A Knife

Elton

Depending on what sort of fishing I'm doing, and where I am, I carry various knives. Obviously, when sea fishing, I have a very sharp filleting knife. When carp fishing, the only 'knife' I take is a machete, to chop back overgrown trees.

If I walked into the local supermarket with them on me, I'd expect to get arrested. However, the way I understand it, they are perfectly legal within the confines of my fishing tackle bag.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I throw a spanner in the works and ask what a Coarse Fisherman needs a knife for? Cutting line can be done (very neatly) with nail clippers. I personally can see no reason for me to carry a knife whilst fishing, but maybe I'm missing something.

Enlighten me please?

Try cuttting braid with your toenail clippers!!

I carry a knife when fishing, it's used for braid, opening shot to re-use, and baits like meat.

I was a little convcerned about the legal aspects of carrying a knife too, so decided to go for one that is quite obviously a hobbiest's tool rather than a weapon, and bought a leatherman type gadget from EBay. Can't see how anyone could claim it unreasonable to be carrying something like that while fishing!

Mat

Mat

Mat,

I use braid scissors for my braid-cutting :)

Joking aside, if you carry a knife solely to perform a job or task, then you shouldn't have to worry about it. I understand that airlines have to take precautions with regards to what passengers carry, but it would be a sad state of affairs if UK hobbyists were all treated as potential criminals whilst going about their hobbies.

I'm sure (hopeful!) that the law isn't that stupid.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I have always carried a lock knife with a three inch blade in my tackle box. It was acquired many years ago at a Newcastle match when a supporter kindly threw it at me. Luckily being a Westham supporter he was to thick to realise that it was balanced wrongly for throwing and it was the blunt end that hit me.

As for personal defence my money would be on a bank stick or landing net handle over a knife any day of the week. Much longer, more readily to hand, just as effective at short range, especially a nice pointed bank stick, and totally legal. Even a landing net itself wrapped around an assailants head might buy you enough time to do him some real injury or push him in the water.

A Hammond

Guest Rabbit
I have always carried a lock knife with a three inch blade in my tackle box. It was acquired many years ago at a Newcastle match when a supporter kindly threw it at me. Luckily being a Westham supporter he was to thick to realise that it was balanced wrongly for throwing and it was the blunt end that hit me.

As for personal defence my money would be on a bank stick or landing net handle over a knife any day of the week. Much longer, more readily to hand, just as effective at short range, especially a nice pointed bank stick, and totally legal. Even a landing net itself wrapped around an assailants head might buy you enough time to do him some real injury or push him in the water.

What do you mean THICK? If he was that thick He would have asked for it back!!!

As for the rest, Just WHERE do you fish? :unsure:

I fish about half a dozen or so club waters in the Newcastle area. Most of the time I prefer the four that are in private grounds and not open to the public. I know that there have been one or two incidents, normally involving antis or dog walkers, that could have turned nasty on the club waters that the public have access to. As I fish for pleasure and relaxation I choose to avoid those waters as I do commercials.

A Hammond

I know that there have been one or two incidents, normally involving antis or dog walkers, that could have turned nasty on the club waters that the public have access to.

I know its off topic but dog walkers are a pain, such as last year i was taking a walk round me local pool and a carp angler set up and cast to the opposite side of the pool beside a small inlet pipe. And after about 10 minutes as dog cam running through the water by the pipe.

The angler shouted to the owner and told him to keep his dog on a lead. The owner came round and started raving that he had no right to tell him wat to do as its a public area and he could do wat he likes. The angler told him to respect the anglers and keep the dog on the lead do he doese'nt go in the water. The bloke raved about how stupid fishing was and even had a pop at me as i said that i fished and even stated the fishing is the most popular sport. He told us to sod off and do a proper sport.

Long story short the angler punched the bloke and told him to sod off, or next time his dog jumps in the water he'll personally chuck him in afterwards, never saw the bloke again supposed he got through to him :clap2:

Edited by rooney888
84854438.png