Signal Cray Fish

Grant Webber

I am looking to catch a feed of these tasty little critters and am having alot of trouble finding any information on permits and a place guaranteed to catch them.

So a couple of questions:

Permits, what one is needed and where (and how much) are they?

Where can I go to catch them, I am based in London but don't mind going for a long drive.

Can you buy net/traps at most fishing stores? (I'm an aussie ex pat)

I have read that you are not allowed to transport them ... is this true?

Thanks for your time!

Cheers,

Grant

I am looking to catch a feed of these tasty little critters and am having alot of trouble finding any information on permits and a place guaranteed to catch them.

So a couple of questions:

Permits, what one is needed and where (and how much) are they?

Where can I go to catch them, I am based in London but don't mind going for a long drive.

Can you buy net/traps at most fishing stores? (I'm an aussie ex pat)

I have read that you are not allowed to transport them ... is this true?

Thanks for your time!

Cheers,

Grant

You need a licence from the EA (they're free!) and permission from the owner of the water (most will be only too delighted). The EA may want to see your traps to 'approve' them - which I think mainly means ensuring they're vole friendly! They will then issue you with a tag to be attached to your trap. Some tackle shops have started selling approved traps.

Signals are endemic throughout the Thames system - my local Kennet is crawling with them.

They are classified as an alien species under the Wildlife and Countryside Act and therefore you'd be commiting and offence if you transported them to another water - you'd be also VERY unpopular if said water was Signal free!!!!

Basically speak to the EA - mate of mine traps Signals - and they were very helpful.

C.

ps - Millions of Turkish Crayfish in the Serpentine!

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Ahh so the transport thing is only to another water! I missed that bit and assumed it was some crazy law not permitting transport at all (ie back to home for cooking)

What is the best way to speak to the EA? I cant seem to find any London offices on their website?

How does permission from the owner of the water work? And how does this work with public waterways?

So I assume these details are best? (from http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/conta...=1&lang=_e)

To contact us by email please use: enquiries@environment-agency.gov.uk

To contact us directly by phone, please use the following numbers:

General Enquiries: 08708 506 506 (Mon-Fri 8-6)

please forgive all my silly questions, fishing in oz it seems is quite different :unsure:

Thanks again

If you are fishing a shallow margin at dusk, and leave a landing net half in/half out of the water and chuck some chopped worm onto it, crays will clamber into your net :thumbs:

Dunno if that's "legal" - so don't try it at home ;)

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

What a good topic, AN at its best.......

Good luck Grant, go get 'em :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I have no idea if this trap would meet standards in the UK for a crayfish trap but it is certainly cheap and effective.

The drawing is for a minnow trap but all that is needed to make it perfect for crays is to widen the bottle neck just a bit and to make a hole in the bottom to attach a string.

Hold the trap's top section together with a few pushpins and bait with some pellets. Errr - make sure you are using a plastic bottle. Not sure what is available but a 2 liter coke bottle is ideal.

crayfish-trap.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President