general scottish sea angling

stan4massey

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is a great thread, it will be a shame when the mods lock it :rolleyes:

and no-one has mentioned the pop band "prodigy" with their greatest hit.......lol

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

Guest NickInTheNorth

Poison, Voodoo People, Smack My Bitch Up, Breathe and Firestarter, now just which of those hits are you thinking of? :confused:

nick....

saying nowt.....

norrie....

all depends on the weather.....whether i can be arsed....lol

someone needs to show the unapproachable one how to catch more than 2 fish in a day :P

mind you, if he had a decent supply of east coast coalies like he did on ronnies boat he might do a bit better :D

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

Peter the fisherman

dont know what the definition of expert is when it comes to angling but I doubt if I`m one either.

My names not down for the Stronsay trip, would be quite willing to, can you imagine the posts then.

Probably better up there showing you what your doing wrong as sitting here telling you. DONT FLAME ME IT WAS MY FEEBLE ATTEMPT AT A JOKE!!!!!

My last `recent' trips, why the inverted commas?

My last 10 or 12 recent trips, all local (or fairly) could probably be summed up by spending a lot of time & effort putting my money where my mouth is, or at verey least trying to. A friend brought his boat up from down south about two and a half years ago, 23ft offshore, and based it at Stranraer,( sorry no photos but check with Mike Watson). In between p#####ing around with a dodgy gearbox for weeks we then, weather permitting, spent hour upon hour, week after week, trolling from the Arran trench to Mull of Kintyre, 1/2 to 3/4 the way to Rathlin then back, more circles, up and down the Dyke and so on. The results were the same on every trip, blank ! Not quite true we actually had a mackeral take a rapalla magnum towed at about 8 knts on a set of 50 gear.

No reason to try and convince you to listen, the point is we were prepared to try and then keep trying time and again regardless of the blanks because we believe its only a matter of time when tides, weather, seasons and the rest come together. As I`ve mentioned in a past post since last summer I`m restricted to rainbow bashing through injury but I`ll be fit and hearty well before the Stronsay trip. Now would'nt that be fun. I dread to think of the posts & pm`s. Then again at least somebody else is being left alone.

Stan

Les, Hiya, I'm only the messenger, so dont shoot me ....ok!!!!, Just talked with Davy on the phone,he says the Coalies were all West coast captures....seemingly you didnt know that.... :confused: He's busy catching coalies to 2lb on the fly just now...decent bait fish.... :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

I saw a psot refering to rods for shore caught skate, and personally I cant imagine a rod or person who could cast an adequate skate bait to the depths required.

From running the boat into the west pier at lochaline it is clear that on venues like that there is 325' at a little over 80 yds out. But surely places like that are few and far between?

I would have thought the only way to go for skate from the shore is to borrow a tactic from the carp guys and use a boile boat, heavy gear and decent line. read your charts ,target deep water and drop good strong gear into a decent depth to give you a chance to land what you hook.

Just a thought!

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Dave, I was on that expidition, and you can cast a bait and a weight out for skate, the rods used were Assasins, reels were (I think)Daiwa 50shvx.....Lee actually connected, and was dragged down the beach on his ass..... :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/