general scottish sea angling

stan4massey

From Lochaline pier you dont cast the bait but cast your weight out and run the bait down a slider (suppose it will be the same tactis for any deep water mark). Its deep there i've emptied 7000's loaded to the brim before hitting the bottom. Also trying to break out a snag even with a 15lb rotten bottom there is a nightmare.

Think I will be trying Braid on my next visit.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys, have you seen my tessco bag post?

I feel sure that you all could become expert shopping bag or even black sack anglers, after all you are already geared up for it with your common skate gear, I dont think there would be a lot of difference in the fight, maybe it would take a very large bag, maybe the sort used by the building inderstry to carry bricks.

It would add the elerment of suprise, is it a large skate or is it a builders bag.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Guest conger tamer

you want gear like the namibia shark boys do!

try the conoflex fs200 blank old but has shitloads of power in the mid section,1-1/4in alloy butt will do it nicely .

as for reels why not heavily mag a decent boat reel to cast i tkink the africans use daiwa sl600s if these guys can land 300lb sharks im confident you guys can land 200lb skate!!!

or a builders bag..,.,

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Colink

Last weekend we ran the boat right up to the pier and the depths are unbelievable. There is a ledge at 25ft for about 20 ft from pier. after that it is a near 90 deg wall down to 325ft.

*It hits that depth at about 60-yds from the pier* The sounder readings in that area have to be seen to be believed!

Skate have been caught in the same depth of water not far from the pier so its a good bet they do come closer inshore. I personally would worry about that ledge as at some stage during a battle the ledge would be abbrading your line due to the sharp angle of the drop.

Just a thought..

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Colin and CT, We werent any where near the pier, nor a pier of any thoughts, ....the only way to our mark, which was changed during the trip , was by boat.......and the said boat was ...????? So, you fancy it next time ??? Only a few special chaps allowed, and we are told you are "Special"...... :D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

I first fished the pier a while ago with a lad called Davy Mcnair. I think he got the other Davy his first skate many many years ago. Anyway he has an article from an old sea angler of the two davies fishing from his boat landing skate within spitting distance of the pier i'm sure Davy will know the article.

As for my next trip to LA it is pencilled in for a week on Saturday/Sunday in between Eggerness this week and Holidays in 2 weeks

what's the fuss about skate from the shore. its been done several times already from the pier.

first time was in the late 70's.

they have even been caught by a guy using a fixed spool on a beachcaster.

some guys have caught more than one. that was all using normal UK beach gear.

saying that i kept bloody losing mine.... :¬(