general scottish sea angling

stan4massey

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob & 101 N.

fair play, I read it again myself and I was out of order. However particularily to Bob on Stronsay as I mentioned in further posts I`ve got a fair whack of info on a variety of areas, some from legitimate sources and other stuf from, lets just say they should not have had tangle nets there. Anyway aint fished Orkney for over thirty years and then it was Scapa for skate and conger however on one trip I spent a bit of time talking to a retired local fisherman, no idea now of his name but he was in his seventies then so guess he`s shooting pots in the sky by now. From your own posts Bob you are doing a bit of experimenting on marks etc. I`ve no personal experience of this but he did mutter on at great length about the amount of coalie he had whipped off handlines when baitfishing by porbeagle and he also had no doubts on the presence of halibut and commons. The area he was talking about was a tide rip near Askerry Island ?????? Just thought you might know something of that area.

Hi Stan and let me add a welcome to the forum. Your opening salvo was interesting to say the least. :)

I can't contribute anything to the sea angling part of this thread since the little of it I've done has been in other parts of the world but maybe some help with whatever tech glitch is giving you email problems.

Private Messaging would bypass any email issues and since you do have it turned on, anyone who needs to converse privately can use that. I just sent you a test PM.

Email should be working so we need to figure out what isn't right. I'll be sending you email through the forum when I finish this post. If it doesn't work quite right, please forward whatever notification message you get to my regular email so I can get details.

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

It's Actually called Auskerry and it is about a mile and a half off the southern end of Stronsay. I have moved furniture and other goods onto the island when I had my creel boat. If you look at a map of Orkney and follow the eastern side you will find some well known fishing marks going from South to North, these are Copinsay where Porbeagle are known to be about, Auskerry also known to be holding them, The reefs of Papa Stronsay and on to Start Point (The source of the Porbeagle being sold in the restaurant on Westray). We fish the reefs of Papa Stronsay as they are just off of the village where we live and we are convinced they are about. This year we have also been and down the eastern side of Stronsay to Buurgh and Lamb head (Where we caught our first Dogfish) and the next port of call is Auskerry.

The tides are very strong all around Orkney and there are tide rips and races just about every where.

Over the years I have caught many thousands of Coalfish for bait and having one taken off of the line by what feels like the bottom is not uncommon. We now know that this is by large predators.

As I have mentioned in the past Skate and Halibut were hammered here in the 70's but the smaller young fish would have still been about and these are now back to full size and just waiting for me and me mates to catch (How do we get on this tagging scheme Davy) them.

As you may have figured out we are also targeting the other 100 or so species that should also be swimming by, its only our knowledge letting us down (Plus some larger swivels etc).

Bob

Bob,

you seem to have the marks well sewn up. Can`t help with the swivels but I`ve got about 80 - 100, 10/0 O`Shaugnessy hooks in the workshop gathering dust.

No use to me if you want them sent up, (free of charge) drop me an address. There possibly not everyones choice some preferring sea demon or sea master or others but they`ll hold most of the predators your looking at. You can also stick them in a vice, heat them a bit and put a turn in them at the gape to give you outward points.

This isn't a criticism (far from it) but is it just me or has this thread gone way beyond 'general scottish sea angling'?

My experience of sea angling in Scotland (and I'd imagine many other forum members) doesn't come close to the species, locations etc. which some of you are talking about.

If this is what you guys take as 'general' then you are incredibly fortunate to have/have had such opportunities. Maybe some day...

Anyway I'm off to bash some mackies

I envy a lot of the protentual you guys have in Scotland, sharks & tope from the shore just to name two.

Do you target bass often?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!