Maggots

Myster

hi all, when is the best time to buy maggots from a tackle shop and the best place/tempreture ???to keep thanks

"I Feel Sorry For People Who Don't Drink.

When They Wake Up In The Morning,

That's As Good As They're Going To Feel All Day".

---------- Frank Sinatra ----------

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all, when is the best time to buy maggots from a tackle shop and the best place/tempreture ???to keep thanks

It depends on when your tackle shop gets a delivery.

If you look at the maggots you should see a small black mark, just behind the head. The bigger the mark the fresher the maggot, it means they are fresh off the feed, and will keep longer.

If there is no mark, then they are old maggots, and need using pretty soon, or bought for turning to casters.

There is no temp' chart that I know of, but try to keep them cool, in warm weather, it slows down the change to chrysalis. Keep them in a container that allows them to 'breathe', I like the old cloth maggot bags, but most use a bait box.

Sprinkle a little sawdust or ground bait on them, it cuts down on friction, and helps keep them cooler.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest Rabbit

You can buy them any time from the tackle shop assuming they are stocked and the shop is open. :headhurt:

As far as keeping the things then if you plan to feep them for a period of more than a day in the summer, best keep them in a fridge, if you dont have a bait fridge you can always but a cheap one from the local paper.

If you want to keep them for a longer period, place them in plastics bags, and make sure all the air is removed before sealing the bag with a freezer bag tie. Keep stored in a fridge. You will need to untie the bag every day, shake the maggots and reseal.

Another way is a cool box.

Or you can do as I have done a few times after a evening session, leave them in a van with a ill fitting lid, and in the morning spend an hour or so sweeping / hoovering them up. Of course you never get 'em all, and within three weeks you can enjoy the company of a thousand blue bottles :yucky:

:lol: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ nice idea but no van :lol:

plus d wife would kill me but thanks for all your answers :thumbs:

"I Feel Sorry For People Who Don't Drink.

When They Wake Up In The Morning,

That's As Good As They're Going To Feel All Day".

---------- Frank Sinatra ----------

I like to keep them in the fridge but I do find permission to do so relies on how long they were in there last time & if the lid was on right. O & as said don't let them sweat lots of dry powder (ground bait, saw dust, flour even curry powder). :thumbs:

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

The cooler you can keep them the better. If you are doing an afternoon's fishing and plan to use the same batch of maggots the next day then try to replace the bait box lid and keep them in the shade.

Wherever you keep them I highly recommend that you don't forget about them as opening a 4 week old box of dead rotting maggots is an olafactory experience that you won't want to repeat! :yucky:

Try FREEZING them!! That way they don't get everywhere!! Think I am having you on?? Ask Archie Braddocks!!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

If you've bought a pint or more I'd recommend splitting them into 2 or more bait boxes.

Riddle off the old sawdust after a day and replenish with maize flour bought from a local ethnic supermarket.

Tony

I've had some in the fridge for a week. Must check on them later :D

And yes, I do have a separate bait fridge....which is also my beer fridge :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE