Hooklength

Kappa

Hi guys as mentioned in another thread I've had some real hooklength problems this season. I've tried 3 different hooklengths, drennan hooklink, a drennan fluorocarbon and drennan sinkbraid. All three have snapped with absolute minimum pressure upon hooking a fish. I wouldn't mind if it snapped after bullying a fish away from snags but it just seems to go at the slightest pressure. I'm thinking that it might be due to damage from zebra (?) mussels in the lake I'm fishing. However I can snap the 6lb drennan hooklink with my hands which shouldn't be possible in my book with out a nasty cut!

So the question is, what is the problem? Damage? Old crap line?

Any recommended hooklenths?

Rich

p.s. I’ve never had this sort of problem before so I’m fairly sure it isn’t my knots!

Guest tigger
Hi guys as mentioned in another thread I've had some real hooklength problems this season. I've tried 3 different hooklengths, drennan hooklink, a drennan fluorocarbon and drennan sinkbraid. All three have snapped with absolute minimum pressure upon hooking a fish. I wouldn't mind if it snapped after bullying a fish away from snags but it just seems to go at the slightest pressure. I'm thinking that it might be due to damage from zebra (?) mussels in the lake I'm fishing. However I can snap the 6lb drennan hooklink with my hands which shouldn't be possible in my book with out a nasty cut!

So the question is, what is the problem? Damage? Old crap line?

Any recommended hooklenths?

Rich

p.s. I’ve never had this sort of problem before so I’m fairly sure it isn’t my knots!

Are you using eyed or spad end hooks ?

Where are the breakages occurring - near the hook, near the connection to the mainline, or in the middle? Or random?!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Where are the breakages occurring - near the hook, near the connection to the mainline, or in the middle? Or random?!

Random! When I was testing the knots etc when I started to get paranoid it was sometimes at the hook sometimes at the swivel (or swivel equivalent ;) ) and sometimes in the middle of the hooklength! Its so annoying when you finally get everything right and then your hooklength lets you down!

Tigger: Eyed hooks

Check your eyes on your rod - they sometimes can be "shaving" your line.

I bought a brand new JW Avon rod and had the same trouble. I took it back and swapped it, and I have had no more problems!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Guest tigger
I have 3 times! Its driving me nuts!

I'm looking for a nice supple thin hooklength of around 6-8lbs.

Rich

Have you tried Silstar that's pretty low diameter and supple so it should be fine for hooklength.

I've used the Drennan Fluorocarbon in 8lb for barbel with no problems whatsoever. It's not what I'd call supple though, the opposite in fact. Don't know about the others you mention

Braids are nothing like as abrasion resistant as the blurbs would have you believe.

Preston Reflo Direct is a pretty good hooklength material if you want a mono.

Plenty of braids out there, maybe something like Kryston Snakeskin fished as a combi-link would solve the Zebra problem.

Power-pro is as good as anything if you want a straightforward braid, but fish it for the diameter not the b/s. - 20lb PP is about the same diameter as 6lb mono - and as supple as anything.

Check your eyes on your rod - they sometimes can be "shaving" your line.

I bought a brand new JW Avon rod and had the same trouble. I took it back and swapped it, and I have had no more problems!

That can be a problem, but it shouldn't be affecting hooklengths.

I had this problem a while ago, it was with chub, and only in one particular swim.

I would get a pull round bite, strike, feel the fish, and then nothing. The hook length had gone, an inch or so from the hook.

I came to the conclusion that the chub were taking the bait, and not moving. The throat teeth were crushing the line, and weakening it.

I got round it by shortening the hook length, sometimes down to a couple of inches. This stopped the problem for me.

This was chub, but I should imagine carp could do it just as well.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John