Perch on a bolt rig

Kappa

Hi everyone,

I often fish with maggots on a a semifixed feeder/lead set up but have never caught a perch on this method depsite fishing waters where I know some perch are resident! I've caught bream, rudd and roach but never perch!

Has anyone ever caught a perch on a bolt rig? Is there an aspect of their feeding which means they don't get hooked in the same way as other fish?

Rich

I'm sure Steve Burke will be along in a minute !!- Perch are very sensitive to resistance and are probably very adept at ejecting the bait when they feel any as opposed to bolting in panic - which is the premise of the bolt rig....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I was gonna say the same thing Chris, they hate resistance so that could be the main problem.

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

You could alway try a lobworm - Ive never failed to catch perch on that even in low density perch waters.

Sorry my post is misleading! I wasn't suggesting I'd target perch using bolt rigs, more that I was surprised that I had never caught a perch by mistake when using a bolt rig. With Wingham coming up I was wondering that if I fished my ususal rigs for tench and bream whether the perch would chew up the worm/maggots without getting hooked.

Rich

I've never caught a perch on a bolt rig either. I'd go along with the resistance theory too. Perch have quite hard mouths unlike carp/tench/bream/etc which probably has something to do with it too.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music