CentrePin Reels

RPM

In preparation for the forthcoming season I am thinking of investing in a centrepin as most of my fishing will be on the Trent.

Normally I trot with a fixed spool but I wondered whether a CP would offer me a little more control. Has anyone got any thoughts on this and on any good options as far as reel is concerned?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okuma Avanta Pro is the mutts nutts.

Dare I say it, not the most efficient tool for casting, but a doddle to play a fish on, and a joy to use. There is something almost sensuous about fishing with a pin!

I too have been thinking of a centre pin, but I think I may have become nostalgic watching 'Passion for Angling'. Are there specific centre pins for fly fishing only or can they all be used interchangeably? By the way how do you get an avatar on your posts? How many questions was that?

"Life is much too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

I too have been thinking of a centre pin, but I think I may have become nostalgic watching 'Passion for Angling'. Are there specific centre pins for fly fishing only or can they all be used interchangeably? By the way how do you get an avatar on your posts? How many questions was that?

Only two questions I think :)

A reel for fly fishing is a different reel, usually smaller and not as free running as a 'normal' CP.

Go to 'My Controls' (that's your controls not mine ;) ) at the top of your page. Look down the left side, you will see 'Edit Avatar'. Go in there and you can set or change an avatar of your choice.

(so long as it's not rude or offensive). :)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Cheers..

"Life is much too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

Worth searching the archives for centre pins - has been loads and loads and loads of threads in the past,,,

C.

Thanks Chris, I have just searched and yes, you are right, many previous threads and suggestions. A few other questions now spring to mind as I think that I will definitely make the investment.

Firstly, as most contributors seem to have gone for one of the Okuma pins, either Sheffield or Avanta (Pro), which would be preferred over the other and why? As I have never owned a pin before and they are both competitively and similarly priced, views from users would be appreciated. The Sheffield really is a thing of beauty though, isnt it?

Secondly, what is the difference between an Okuma and say, something like a Youngs, apart from the staggering difference in price? I tend not to change my tackle very often and I am still using a very old Diawa Reel from many years ago with great pleasure so I want something that is robust. I appreciate that economies of scale are much in Okuma's favour and so they can offer a cheaper product but is there also a quality trade off.

Finally, I have seen the Chris Lythe versions and they are totally stunning. Is the extra £250 most than an Okuma really worth it. If this is going to last a lifetime then would it be worth shelling out now but getting a longer life out of the reel.

Apologies for the analysis but as the wife only allows one large fishing purchase per year :black_eye: , i need to make sure its a good one.

Thanks for now.

Having got reels from Youngs, Adcocks, Lewtham, Ospray and Okuma I can assure you that, in my humble opinion, the extra demanded by Youngs etc. is not worth it. The Avanta does everything a Sheffield does, only in a more understated and tasteful manner! The spoked, aerial type reels, are not so user friendly as the Avanta. Very often I control the reel by putting a finger through one of holes in the faceplate of the reel, not something that is comfortable with a spoke. Speaking as an angler I can see no advantage in buying a Youngs over an Okuma, I can detect not the merest quality difference either.

Edited by Peter Waller

Bought my first pin 12 months ago an avanta pro & love it to bits only down side it makes me want to go fishing even more. :rolleyes:

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Finally, I have seen the Chris Lythe versions and they are totally stunning. Is the extra £250 most than an Okuma really worth it. If this is going to last a lifetime then would it be worth shelling out now but getting a longer life out of the reel.

I've got a Chris Lythe and a couple of Witchers (and half a dozen other makes!) - but then I'm a pin tart - and these were bought as a bit of an investment - they ought to appreciate in value - I was offered nearly double what I paid for the CL not long after acquiring it! Both the CL and the Witchers get used - the 1920 Witcher gets used a LOT - tis the lightest CP I've ever handled - a major consideration when you're going to spend the whole day trotting (I've had RSI in my wrist and tennis elbow from fishing over the years!)

But in answer to your question - in terms of performance on the bank - there's not a £250 difference!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog