Strange Happenings With IP Address In My Forum

glennk

So what you are saying sort of succinct terms nick is "It's a load of cobblers?"

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So AOL users effectively see the web through a proxy server? What a weird and intrusive way of running an ISP. I knew that AOL did some odd proprietary things (many of which amount to trying to make users think of "The Internet" as "AOL") but that's just odd. Presumably they can then apply content filtering, snooping or whatever.
Steve

Many ISPs use proxy servers. My isp (Demon) has one, but you don't need to use it if you do not wish to. NTL uses (or used to use) Inktomi proxy servers, running in transparent mode. How is this 'intrusive'?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Doesn't surprise me that many ISPs have them, although I've also been with Demon since 2000-ish and never known of or wanted the service, what struck me as weird was having to use it.

What I find intrusive about the idea of forcing people to go through a proxy server is that it gives far more ability to monitor and restrict what is accessed. I've no issue with that in a work environment, but for home users?

If people actually read the details of what AOL provide it is all clear about what you get. the difficulty is finding the information :)

But it is also why they can offer the very child safe experience of the internet - 'cos it ain't the internet :)

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

But it is also why they can offer the very child safe experience of the internet - 'cos it ain't the internet :)

Child-safe and, allegedly, Republican-safe too. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
What I find intrusive about the idea of forcing people to go through a proxy server is that it gives far more ability to monitor and restrict what is accessed. I've no issue with that in a work environment, but for home users?

Clicking on sites known as having been used for phishing attempts puts up an AOL message explaining why access to that site has been blocked.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• 2 weeks later...
Lots of ip addresses starting with 74.6 all viewing different topics but lots of guests all in the forum at the same time.

Anybody know what these Ip's are please ?

Inktomi (MSN engine) is in the 74.6 range, an Inktomi bot cataloging you for MSN probably.

I'd stop worrying. :D

Hi Glenn - they are now banned just to see what happens.

If you click on the IP addresses you get options to check the whois servers for all the major IP registries

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?