Feeder fishing on shallow lake

Errrm

Hi,

The lake I fish has quite a lot of Bream in it up to about 7lbs and I think they are mostly likely to be in a large shallow end of the lake ( the main other part of the lake is an old stretch of canel so I don't think it is wide enough to hold a big shoal of bream ). I am probably going to be fishing about 35-40 metres out so I was going to use an open-ended cage style feeder but I'm a bit worried though that casting in the feeder will spook any fish feeding on the bait that is put in throughout the day because it is only about 5 feet deep possibly even less, is this likely to be a problem or is there a way around it?

Errrm

Hi,

The lake I fish has quite a lot of Bream in it up to about 7lbs and I think they are mostly likely to be in a large shallow end of the lake ( the main other part of the lake is an old stretch of canel so I don't think it is wide enough to hold a big shoal of bream ). I am probably going to be fishing about 35-40 metres out so I was going to use an open-ended cage style feeder but I'm a bit worried though that casting in the feeder will spook any fish feeding on the bait that is put in throughout the day because it is only about 5 feet deep possibly even less, is this likely to be a problem or is there a way around it?

Errrm

The lake i fish holds Bream to about the same weight,and it's about the same depth.

If you are fishing that far out,accuracy in casting to the same place is of paramount importance to concentrate the fish in one spot.Pick yourself a "mark" to aim for like a tree shadow on the water or a feature in the water.I don't find the feeder splashing into the water upsets the fish that much,once the fish get their heads down and start to feed,to me,instinct takes over.All i do is cast the feeder in,let it hit the bottom,give it a couple of minutes,then reel in about 1-2ft of line to "jerk" the feeder into depositing the groundbait and pulling my hookbait onto the layer of groundbait.Then it's just a case of waiting for the tip to swing round. :thumbs:

Sounds simple doesn't it. :blink:

IF IT'S CALLED "COMMON SENSE" WHY DO SO FEW PEOPLE HAVE IT.

I find that piling in feeders or bait on top of fish can spook them.

In a shallow venue I would pile in loads to start with and sit and wait.

You never know when you have over done it or not done enough but its the mystery of fishing. I do know that introducing loads of bait on top of bream with there heads down can be a disaster unless they are in a real feeding mood which is exceptional but does happen.

john

I might have slightly over estimated the 35-40 metres... the cast shouldn't be too bad. I was planning on starting of with a slightly larger feeder while I get some more bait in and then switch to a smaller feeder to try not to spook them and to just keep the bait topped up.

Does anyone know of any good links to information regarding feeder setups? I'm a bit new to feeder fishing and I'm looking for information about the pro's and cons of different setups i.e. straight feeder, paternoster ( sp? ), having the swim feeder on a loop up the line etc...

Errrm

It so happens I've been feeder fishing for bream the last few sessions on a gravel pit about 6 feet deep. I can't really comment on Errrm's query about different rigs, because all I've ever used is straight through running feeder, and haven't tried the others.

The last 3 sessions all I could catch were carp and tench - the bream that I was looking for eluded me. At last, today, though I found some bream, but only caught one. I kept getting pulls that didn't materialise. I've shaved down my quiver tip so it is reasonably sensitive. I had 2 maggots on a size 16 hook, with 5lb high tech trace.

I'm sure I've read before that bites not materialising can be a problem with bream, and would welcome any advice. It might help Errrm too? Do I just need to fish finer, or have a longer trace (I had about 18") or.......?

john clarke

It so happens I've been feeder fishing for bream the last few sessions on a gravel pit about 6 feet deep. I can't really comment on Errrm's query about different rigs, because all I've ever used is straight through running feeder, and haven't tried the others.

The last 3 sessions all I could catch were carp and tench - the bream that I was looking for eluded me. At last, today, though I found some bream, but only caught one. I kept getting pulls that didn't materialise. I've shaved down my quiver tip so it is reasonably sensitive. I had 2 maggots on a size 16 hook, with 5lb high tech trace.

I'm sure I've read before that bites not materialising can be a problem with bream, and would welcome any advice. It might help Errrm too? Do I just need to fish finer, or have a longer trace (I had about 18") or.......?

I'd be tempted to plenty of groundbait in early doors. Put something with lots of smell but not too much food content such as commercial groundbait "diluted" with brown crumb, I'd suggest anything with lots of fishmeal. You can fish the normal running feeder, though I'd fish a semi fixed bolt rig. Steve Burke would proabably suggest you used bobbins on a long drop so you don't strike at line bites. Please make sure you use a "safe" rig so that if the line snaps you don't leave the fish pulling around a feeder! Why not take a look at the tench rigs on the tenchfishers website I've caught plenty of bream whilst fishing for tench using different "tench" rigs including the black cap feeder rig, a method feeder and a simple semifixed lead. Don't forget you you don't need to use a hair rig with bolt rigs.

If you are worried about the splash of the feeder use a lead instead as the splash will be smaller. You could use small balls of pva stocking to get a little extra bait in with your hookbait.

Rich

Edited by Richard Capper

Sounds like line bites to me always a problem on shallow lakes when bream fishing. Make sure you are not packing your feeder to tight you need it to empty in your swim not half way back in and don't strike till your tip goes right round as as striking at line bites can spook the whole shoal. If you are still getting these bites try a shorter cast. Line bites are caused by fish between you and your swim. :rolleyes:

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Richard, this is interesting stuff, and quite new to me. I notice on the tenchfishers' site the hook-link is always very short, 2 - 6". Is this to do with getting the bolt rig effect? And what is a 'semi-fixed bolt rig?

Are we saying that with the rigs on the tenchfishers site that you don't need to strike at all, or is it that they give a stronger bite effect, but you still have to strike?

john clarke

www.allthingspiscatorial.com ,

It sounds to me like one or two of you would benefit from some proper angling tuition by a qualified coach, there is no shame in paying for professional advice, (even Tiger Woods has a golf coach) any money you spend on an angling coach should be seen as an investment and you will be rewarded many times over, regards Bob.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

I have had plenty of Bream in shallow water casting feeders over them however unless they are really having a go you will need to cast gently and consider dropping the size of the feeder as the sesion progresses maybe switching to a bomb. Also as the session progresses consider casting to the edge of where you think the shoal is sitting rather than right on top. Make sure your groundbait is light and fluffy and not overwetted, use a cage feeder and make the cast gentle. Doing this it is possible to plop a small feeder onto the water with less noise than same people can send a poorly cast lead into a swim especially if you feather the line as the feeder aproaches the water.

You can also consider having the first few casts with a lead before putting on a feeder just to see if there are allready fish about, if so you can continue with the lead or switch to a very small feeder and save the groundbait until the fish go.

If you are really unsure about casting a feeder over fish then put some feed down at the begining. If you have a strong enough rod a large feeder as large as a small tumbler allows a lot of groundbait to be put in accuratley and quickly. Before I recently gave up match fishing I experimented with Spods for this purpose on a carp rod.

Alternatively use a catapult to put feed out. To make this more accurate attatch a large carp-type float in place of the feeder cast this out and drop the groundbait just short of the float. The initially barrage will be more accurate and if you clip up you can repeat during the session if needed.