is this carp set worth getting?

henda11

i was wondering if this carp set is worth getting or not because i dont really want to spend alot on alot of seperate things.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0743518.htm

also is this worth getting aswell the MEGA CARP 3-PACK SUPER DEAL?

http://www.dragoncarpdirect.com/acatalog/s...aver_packs.html

Edited by henda11

PB Mirror Carp: 10lb 7oz

PB Common Carp: 7lb 7oz

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No to both, unless you only want something that'll last you a year or two (or for very occasional use). There are lots of decent carp rods you can buy for under £50 (e.g. Fox Warrior) and reels for around £30 (e.g. Okumas). Most of the other bits and pieces you may already have, can add as you need them, or can do without.

Have a look at climax tackle offer on the wychwood set up for £150 mate

2x Reaction rods, 2 X rogue reels, Rogue pod, screamer indicators, v1 alarms, rogue rod quiver and spool of line. Excellent set up for price and some quality gear if starting out.

dont pay any attention to them if its all you can afford then it will do untill you can afford something better.

you didnt need names in the past to prove your an angler you fished with anything you could cobble together and caught and landed fish.

you can have the best name on all your tackle but it doesent mean your a better angler than matey in the next swim with a fiberglass rod from the 70's.

most of the named rods and reels come off the exact same machine that makes the cheap ones.

strangely when comparisons are made the £300 rods do better than the cheap end well ofcourse they do the advertiser pays more to advertise in the mag and in reality the difference is very little on the bank ,a rod is a stick, a reel is a line holder nothings changed bar the material for hundreds of years and judging by the broken section of rods i find around the pond they are worse than fiberglass! even the cheap fiberglass/carbon blanks didnt snap for no reason

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Have a look at some of the tackle offered by TackleBargains. I reckon you could probably cobble together your own package for that sort of money.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

For the rods reels etc get what you can afford spend your money on the essentials hooks quality line hooklength materials and bait.

Spending loads on rods reels etc wont catch you the fish, if perhaps buy one od reel combo for to start with this will leave you with more money for the things that count, then go and get the second set later.

I wasn't suggesting this guy go out and get a set of Greys Platinums and Shimano 10000 XTE-A's, with a nice Matrix stainless steel set up to put them on, with a few Delkims chucked in for good measure.

As after several pm's with him and also mentioning about the fact it is down to how much you can afford aswell as how well you can use the gear in the first place etc, and yes I agree, rig/ bait presentation and hooking mechanics are crucial, how ever if you can afford a fraction more and get a pod that will stay stable and able to adjust to unlevel ground, alarms that don't howl in the wind or go silent or mute in the wet, reels that can hardly turn with larger fish on and rods that can break,

(though broken rods can mainly be down to missuse), some of these things of which I have had experience of, when fishing on a budget when starting up. I later used intermediate priced tackle before progressing to Greys X flites and Shimano 10000 XTE's etc etc, but I am now starting again to set up, after change of personal circumstance's and area that I live, from scratch and going with slightly better intermediate priced/quality tackle, i think is a better way, why pay £100 for a setup, then a £150-£200 later, Total= £200-£250, when if you can afford it, pay £150 in the first place for some good kit, that should last and perform well for years if looked after and used properly, then later become a tackle tart and pay big bucks for the Greys, Shimano's etc. if you can afford it or feel that way inclined.

I fish maybe 3-4 times a year, that being 3-4 weekends depending on family ties. Now what i did was to buy a single rod and reel tried them out, decided what wanted and then upgraded. What I found was when you first start carping, there is little point going out and buying three rods or even two. The most crucial thing i learnt was to learn the craft, what do i mean? Well

Learn about the carp you are targeting as all carp vary in their feeding habits and their likes and dislikes

Find a rig you are happy with and try it out

Try out different fishing lines, being it mono, floro or braid, I use Mono line on the reel and the terminal tackle is made out of braid

Read up about rods and reels, look for a rod and reel that matches your fishing style, I for 90% of my fishing will use the Method

My advice would be, and this is only my opinion, buy a single rod and reel that you are happy with and spend the rest of your money on terminal tackle and other bits and bobs.

I would not get caught up in buying top of the range gear until you know what you want. I myself use the wychwood rage rod and the maximiser reel you can buy both of these for around £80 quid. Now this may be a bit much considering the amount of fishing i do but i like them and that does it for me.

Hope that helps

STC

It was the fish i tell you, they were talking to me !!!