DIY Lead weights

kennosen

it used to be chair legs but you dont find them any more ,pirks can be made from chromed handle bars etc.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I use a variation on the copper pipe - i use old rifle cases. Ones where the neck has split over use, etc.

Good thing is that they are sealed at the bottom (provided you have left the primer in). Twist a bit of wire for the hole, half fill the case and let set for a mo with the wire inserted in to bed down in the cooled lead and then fill to the brim.

They also make great decoy weights for wildfowling.

I have made literally hundreds of lead weights. The gemin mould is good as you can change the size of the weights with a single mould.

Cheaper moulds need to be kept warm with a blow torch.

Make sure you be careful that the place is well ventilated and you have the right gear. I use welding gloves and a welding apron.

I used to make them when I done shore sea fishing but since kayaking I have not lost a single weight and have boxes of old breakaways that I usually give away as I will never use them.

For the amount we lose on the yak I would not bother fussing to make weights anymore.

hope that helps

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

I have made literally hundreds of lead weights. The gemin mould is good as you can change the size of the weights with a single mould.

Cheaper moulds need to be kept warm with a blow torch.

Make sure you be careful that the place is well ventilated and you have the right gear. I use welding gloves and a welding apron.

I used to make them when I done shore sea fishing but since kayaking I have not lost a single weight and have boxes of old breakaways that I usually give away as I will never use them.

For the amount we lose on the yak I would not bother fussing to make weights anymore.

hope that helps

you should try fishing Portland Bill Stu,you'll need boxes of weights then :headhurt:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

ouch :headhurt:

Have fished there once from the shore and the ground was really rough. It was very windy so we moved aross to the beach.

Used to lose loads of weights from the shore.

I usually end of making loads of bomb weights for my uncle, this ensures I get free fishing trips with him :thumbs:

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

Guys

Do you think there is any value in trying to make 1 & 2oz grip weights or breakaways? or should I just give in and use heavier weights with grips, in fact that begs the question, what weight does everyone use on their Kayaks? do you use up to 6oz or more?

Ped

Guys

Do you think there is any value in trying to make 1 & 2oz grip weights or breakaways? or should I just give in and use heavier weights with grips, in fact that begs the question, what weight does everyone use on their Kayaks? do you use up to 6oz or more?

Ped

The minimum I need to get the bait down to the bottom and keep it there !

Generally the heaviest I use is about 3oz.

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

All

I used plasticine wrapped around a lead core for Salmon worm fishing. This worked well and allowed me to pull free more often as the out plasticine caught but would not jam once you tried to pull it free.

I have also thought of using the plastic tube worm controllers as a weight these get stuck less often.

Has anyone tried these?

Chris

spark plugs are an age old way of reducing cost in rocky ground ,your local garage if asked nicely will give you loads

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson