john wilson? some one to look up to?

scoop

this mite be a bit contraversal but......just wondering if anyone has any views on john wilson???? is he really some1 that should be on tv promoting our sport to youngsters???? he's obviously a capable angler but after watching some of his shows i wouldn't want anybody on my lakes fishing in the mannor he does!!!!! i'll list a few.....

-the 1st thing he says when he hooks a fish is normally ''remember i've only got light line on'' surely he should use line suited to the type of fishing he is doing

-his landing net is always too small

-often dosen't use a unhooking mat

-tries to make pike tail walk on purpose....this aint good for the fish!!!

-seen him braking lake rules doing all of the above at catch22 and i was ther the week that was filmed....it was in a no fishing area that had been pre baited for him

-and worst of all is every time he goes out in a boat he is wearing waders and no life jacket!!!!! if he comes out of the boat the waders will fill with air forcing his legs up and his head under

not the sort of thing kids should seeing and potentionally copying..... any views?????

Edited by scoop

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

f he comes out of the boat the waders will fill with air forcing his legs up and his head under

I'm not sure about most of your comments but i believe this is actually a myth!

Rich

I'm not sure about most of your comments but i believe this is actually a myth!

Rich

well i've had a very good friend drown wen this happened he was returning a fish slipped waders filled up with air and he couldn't get back up.....do you want to ask his family if its a myth???? i was on the far side of the lake but couldn't get round in time......now ask me if its a myth!!!!!! obviously its now something i feel quite strongly about!!!!!!

well i've had a very good friend drown wen this happened he was returning a fish slipped waders filled up with air and he couldn't get back up.....do you want to ask his family if its a myth???? i was on the far side of the lake but couldn't get round in time......now ask me if its a myth!!!!!! obviously its now something i feel quite strongly about!!!!!!

Scoop, you might want to read this thread: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...7&hl=falkus

Sorry to hear about your friend, but it may have been that he panicked (must be pretty hard not to, in the circumstances) and it was that that proved fatal rather than the fact that he was wearing waders.

Allegedly when he fished a water local to me a member of his production crew caught a pike some way a way which was later caught by the man himself! An urban rumour, I don't know. But I do know that he kept one high twenty out for an incredibly long time whilst it was being photographed. He didn't make any friends that day amongst the locals. Have met him twice, didn't like him, but then he might not have liked me either!! I don't know that a fishery benefits from a visit by his entourage

All that said, I consider that his books are excellent, well worth buying, and the advice in them to be first class.

Like him or not John Wilson is somewhat of a legend isn't he, not quite Jack Hargreaves but.....

I think overall he is a highly respected angler but if I see him 'beach' or 'hand out' another specimen fish I'll go nuts, quite why he feels compelled not to use a landing net is quite beyond me.

Oh and I hate the continous 'oops' 'oops' 'lovely' lovely'....... apart from that he's sort of ok.

I wish Matt Hayes would cut his finger nails.........