WHITBY COD BONANZA

clem

Yeh H.D. its been going on on a massive scale for years. Like the fisheries protection lot enforcement is 9-5 and boy does everyone know it. Remember this is back-pocket cash as well.

People just dont get it when they are thinking imposing restrictions on anglers is going to help fish stocks.

:clap2: Last year I was informed by someone sleeping on a boat about a boat netting bass and mullet early in the morning in a bass nursery area. He would set his nets at last light and haul them at first light then use his mobile phone to call in a white van. They would then load the catch into the white van and depart the area. I told him to report what he'd seen to the local SFC but he said he'd done that but they said they didn't have anyone around that early in the day, obviously they're not really interested or they could have put someone on to it. :schmoll:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge
clem...

it doesn't have to be the middle of the night.

i was on holiday at scarborough about 4 years ago and a trawler was in the harbour unloading box upon box of tiny very small, possibly undersized codling, none of which i would dream of keeping.

they went into the back of a truck and gone, this was about 8pm on a nice july evening

So when are trawler men suppose to land there fish? I have landed in scarbourgh at mid day to midnight before. We often landed hundreds of boxes of small codlings. Why? because that is what (at times) we caught.

In fifteen years of trawling I never witnessed an undersize fish landed. Be it on a wagon or onto the market. Your assumptions of undersize codlings being landed in broad daylight is only an assumption on the grounds that the codlings where much smaller than what you would of kept. You ever commercially fished happy dude? Have you got any proof to what you are saying Clem? You’re assuming that your assumptions are fact because that’s what you would like to believe. That’s a sad state of affairs. I have been told numerous times about charter skippers in Whitby who catch and sell there fish on a regular basis. I have been told by numerous people that this has gone on for years and that it is not just a local problem but a national one.

I don’t believe it to be fact because I have never witnessed it. I have worked in the angling business for years and never witnessed it, but yet people say it goes on? I would say on this forum that it doesn’t.

Your assumptions happy dude that because you have heard things or assumed things when you have been on holiday does nothing but make your postings unacceptable to any sort of accountable fact..

Regards.

So when are trawler men suppose to land there fish? I have landed in scarbourgh at mid day to midnight before. We often landed hundreds of boxes of small codlings. Why? because that is what (at times) we caught.

In fifteen years of trawling I never witnessed an undersize fish landed. Be it on a wagon or onto the market. Your assumptions of undersize codlings being landed in broad daylight is only an assumption on the grounds that the codlings where much smaller than what you would of kept. You ever commercially fished happy dude? Have you got any proof to what you are saying Clem? You’re assuming that your assumptions are fact because that’s what you would like to believe. That’s a sad state of affairs. I have been told numerous times about charter skippers in Whitby who catch and sell there fish on a regular basis. I have been told by numerous people that this has gone on for years and that it is not just a local problem but a national one.

I don’t believe it to be fact because I have never witnessed it. I have worked in the angling business for years and never witnessed it, but yet people say it goes on? I would say on this forum that it doesn’t.

Your assumptions happy dude that because you have heard things or assumed things when you have been on holiday does nothing but make your postings unacceptable to any sort of accountable fact..

Regards.

challenge,

no i don't have any proof and no i haven't fished commercially.

but there is plenty proof out there that commercial fishermen consistently break the rules by overfishing and landing black fish, i've seen it done up here.

fish landed in the dark at a dockage miles from any harbour, tons of prawns in boxes loaded onto a truck at a power station of all places until the road was closed for security purposes

to me they represent the worst in business men, greedy money grubbers with no regard for the finite resources they are exploiting.

their philosophy is "if i don't catch it someone else will and when there is nothing left, try something else"

the old adage about the hard done to fishermen risking their lives for a few fish for the british housewives to put on the table is totally out of date.

it's not just the fishermen, it's the middlemen paying the cash with no receipts and fiddling the quotes as well as was seen recently at newlyn.

the business is rotten to the core as far as i'm concerned... :yucky:

Edited by Happy Dude

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

Not here in Scotland, 24 hour shifts. Very little black fish up here north of the border now.

Still is in Fraserburgh....just ask the chippy owner, he will tell you all about it !!!

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Guest challenge
challenge,

no i don't have any proof and no i haven't fished commercially.

but there is plenty proof out there that commercial fishermen consistently break the rules by overfishing and landing black fish, i've seen it done up here.

fish landed in the dark at a dockage miles from any harbour, tons of prawns in boxes loaded onto a truck at a power station of all places until the road was closed for security purposes

to me they represent the worst in business men, greedy money grubbers with no regard for the finite resources they are exploiting.

their philosophy is "if i don't catch it someone else will and when there is nothing left, try something else"

the old adage about the hard done to fishermen risking their lives for a few fish for the british housewives to put on the table is totally out of date.

it's not just the fishermen, it's the middlemen paying the cash with no receipts and fiddling the quotes as well as was seen recently at newlyn.

the business is rotten to the core as far as i'm concerned... :yucky:

“No I don’t have any proof and no I don’t fish commercially” that fair play happy dude. But you do have plenty of assumptions about an industry that you no very little about.

Assumptions that lots of other recreational anglers also believe is a worthwhile bandwagon to jump on.

You say the industry is rotten to the core? Quite an assumption to make considering you have never sampled or even tasted its fruit. An even bigger assumption to make is your understanding of the commercial fishermen’s philosophy?

“No I don’t have any proof and no I don’t fish commercially” that fair play happy dude. But you do have plenty of assumptions about an industry that you no very little about.

Assumptions that lots of other recreational anglers also believe is a worthwhile bandwagon to jump on.

You say the industry is rotten to the core? Quite an assumption to make considering you have never sampled or even tasted its fruit. An even bigger assumption to make is your understanding of the commercial fishermen’s philosophy?

i'm not going to sit here and bandy words with an apologist like you.

i know what i know and assumption like opinions are like arseholes....

everyone has one....

i read the papers and look on the internet and see some of what is going on, and i mean some,

what gets reported is only the tip of the iceberg much much more goes either unreported or unnoticed.

if a boat is caught with X amount of black fish or out of quota fish, it's a fair assumption (your favourite word apparently) that there is several other boats who didn't get caught.

i've tasted the fruits of trawler fishermens labour, thats the reason why i can't catch a cod in the firth of clyde on the marks i could get get plenty from 25 years ago.

and now the spurs in the west coast sea lochs we fish for in the winter are almost gone due to a millionaire boat owners greed.

don't for one minute think i don't know what i'm talking about

end of....

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif