WHITBY COD BONANZA

clem

Guest challenge
well i think i have definitely credited you with too many brains.

i asked in a jocular fashion if you got your blinkers on ebay, hardly constitutes a rant.....

i work 6 days a week and don't have time to go looking for fish, i want them to be in the approximate area i last got them in last time i went fishing.

my "loch" is part of the firth of clyde system which was once the top fishing area in the UK for inshore cod fishing.

after they scrapped the 3 mile limit it became a free for all and within a year there was nothing left, only dogfish and the odd flattie.

the loch had a wee comeback with haddock for a couple of years, now there is none again.

the shop we got our rolls from in the morning from has lost our regular business, the chippy we went to on the way home has lost our trade, the pub we had a pint in also, for what, so some greedy git of a "fisherman" can have creel bait instead of paying £10 for a box of salt herring??

and only in the short term.

what you need to realise is that overfishing of stocks doesn't mean just the north sea cod stocks, its loads of different species in loads of different areas, rays in luce bay (if you know where that is) for example.

the pollack which are being gill netted on the reefs off arran, the bass and smoothhounds in wigtown bay.

when was the last time anyone got a halibut off the north or west coast of scotland, did the anglers who caught maybe 6 in a year catch them all??

in fact heres a great set, these should blot almost everything for you

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-LEATHER-BRID...1QQcmdZViewItem

you are obviously the kind of man who has to have the last word, so this could go on for a while.... :rolleyes:

So is your problem that you have not got the time to go anywhere else and fish because of your work commitments and therefore you are pretty peed off because you cannot catch fish on your doorstep where you use to catch them many years ago?

The places that you mention in Scotland that get commercially fished have probably always been commercially fished.

You probably have a valiant reason for being anti commercial. I am not trying to take that away from you, all I am trying to put over is that anglers in this part of the world also have been effected by commercial fishing in one way or another the same as commercial fishermen have.

It is very rare that you here the smaller commercial fishermen moaning about there bigger counterparts taking all the fish in certain areas at certain times of year. They learn and adapt to live with it.

Anglers in this part of the world had to adapt. Some commissioned and bought faster boats to get to wrecks further offshore. Some bought bigger boats to do longer trips and fish hundreds of miles away from there home port. Some did nothing and went under or adapted to doing the job on a part time bases.

they are fortunate that things seem to be on an upturn at the moment for anglers in this part of the world, but when they weren’t not everybody put on there blinkers and hoped the problem would just go away by blaming commercial fishermen.. Just the opposite, they invested money in new boats and advertised there recreational industry to the best of there ability’s.

hopefully now the gradual return of fish will encourage the gradual return of anglers and the hard work of the charter boat industry in the lean times will produce better returns for there investments and hard work.

This conversation started with your theory’s of a boat landing fish in scarbourgh. Remember, so who had the blinkers on then?

Regards and good luck with your fishing in the future.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree clam, it’s great to see plenty of cod on the inshore grounds again. Apparently there are tons of cod on the off shore wrecks as well with reports of 450 stones of cod in one trip. It’s quite amazing and so encouraging for cod anglers throughout the North Sea.

We had trips (on chieftain) last year in excess of what they have reported this year. But being as there wasn’t so much fish being caught on the inshore grounds we where classed as butchers and greedy tyrants who where giving recreational fishermen (who couldn’t catch bugger all) a bad name. now there is loads of fish all over it’s a free for all and every body is happy, well every body but the commercial fisherman who will have to wait a few more weeks (like he has always done at this time of year) till there is plenty of feed in the water again to slow the fish down because as you rightly pointed out clem trawlers can only catch cod in large amounts when they are full of feed or full of roe.

Regards.

Hi Trawlers don't have to wait untill fish are full of feed or roe towing a trawl at 3 to 4 knots will

catch cod of all sizes they are limited by wrecks, obstructions,local limits ect though. Cod are very strong swimming fish and are easyier to catch when full of feed and roe but that doesn't stop trawlers catching cod at anytime of year.Large or small amounts can be caught anytime within the rules at any time of year providing the skipper knows where to go.Are these fish being returned or sold ?

So is your problem that you have not got the time to go anywhere else and fish because of your work commitments and therefore you are pretty peed off because you cannot catch fish on your doorstep where you use to catch them many years ago?

The places that you mention in Scotland that get commercially fished have probably always been commercially fished.

You probably have a valiant reason for being anti commercial. I am not trying to take that away from you, all I am trying to put over is that anglers in this part of the world also have been effected by commercial fishing in one way or another the same as commercial fishermen have.

It is very rare that you here the smaller commercial fishermen moaning about there bigger counterparts taking all the fish in certain areas at certain times of year. They learn and adapt to live with it.

Anglers in this part of the world had to adapt. Some commissioned and bought faster boats to get to wrecks further offshore. Some bought bigger boats to do longer trips and fish hundreds of miles away from there home port. Some did nothing and went under or adapted to doing the job on a part time bases.

they are fortunate that things seem to be on an upturn at the moment for anglers in this part of the world, but when they weren’t not everybody put on there blinkers and hoped the problem would just go away by blaming commercial fishermen.. Just the opposite, they invested money in new

boats and advertised there recreational industry to the best of there ability’s.

hopefully now the gradual return of fish will encourage the gradual return of anglers and the hard work of the charter boat industry in the lean times will produce better returns for there investments and hard work.

This conversation started with your theory’s of a boat landing fish in scarbourgh. Remember, so who had the blinkers on then?

Regards and good luck with your fishing in the future.

:bye2::yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

i was warned not to get involved in a discussion with you.....

there is no cure for stupid, :crazy: finished.... :thumbs:

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

Carl sorry the boat is full everyday this week.

Out today the fishing wasnt quite as easy as it was before the northeastly which we have just had infact the water is coloured out to 3 miles which is a shame as it was crystal clear prior to the blow but now you need to travel a little bit further to get good results had a team on carlisle and they had a cracking day the best cod tipped the scales at just over 15lb.

otterseacod.jpg

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Oh well never mind Paul , Harry and the lads were gonna show the anglers how to fish!!

Better luck next time............

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

With regards to the non existant black fish economy that doesn't actually happen. I have just aquired acopy of Junes Boatfishing and in the news pages 3 out of the 5 stories are of illegal fishing the first is of an unlicensed angler/fisherman selling his catch, and not just via the back door but through a registered fish merchant.

The second is of a Brixham trawler fishing within the six mile protected zone off of Hastings and even more worrying is the fact that when boarded his daily logs had not been filled in, he admitted to only ever filling his log at the end of each trip dipite beeing warned about log irregularities in the past.

But the piece de resistance involves what is said to be the largest single owned fishing fleet in Britain (the Stevensons of Newlyn, they falsified sales records to indicate they were selling non quota fish when they were actually selling quota fish and to make the matter even worse the same family run the fish auctions at Newlyn and were falsifying the auction records. to rub salt into the wounds even further the owner of the company is the Chairwoman of the NFFO.If this isn't the landing of black fish at the higest level then I don't know what is. They are to be involved in a second hearing with regards to confiscation of assets and to make matters worse The Cornish fish producers organiisation is sticking up for them by saying that the courts have been heavy handed and this could have a detrimental effect on Newlyn because the Stevensons land half the fish landed in Newlyn and that they act as agents and fuel suppliers in the port. If you ask me this is an abuse of powere and they should have the book thrown at them to the higest level of the law.

I'm sure this is the tip of the iceberg and in these individuals cases are just the times they have been caught and as a much more far reaching effect I'm sure there are plenty out there who haven't been caught.

Illeagal landings of black fish oh no.... that doesn't go on any more. My f*****g a**e.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/6553155.stm

Edited by chappers

With regards to the non existant black fish economy that doesn't actually happen. I have just aquired acopy of Junes Boatfishing and in the news pages 3 out of the 5 stories are of illegal fishing the first is of an unlicensed angler/fisherman selling his catch, and not just via the back door but through a registered fish merchant.

The second is of a Brixham trawler fishing within the six mile protected zone off of Hastings and even more worrying is the fact that when boarded his daily logs had not been filled in, he admitted to only ever filling his log at the end of each trip dipite beeing warned about log irregularities in the past.

But the piece de resistance involves what is said to be the largest single owned fishing fleet in Britain (the Stevensons of Newlyn, they falsified sales records to indicate they were selling non quota fish when they were actually selling quota fish and to make the matter even worse the same family run the fish auctions at Newlyn and were falsifying the auction records. to rub salt into the wounds even further the owner of the company is the Chairwoman of the NFFO.If this isn't the landing of black fish at the higest level then I don't know what is. They are to be involved in a second hearing with regards to confiscation of assets and to make matters worse The Cornish fish producers organiisation is sticking up for them by saying that the courts have been heavy handed and this could have a detrimental effect on Newlyn because the Stevensons land half the fish landed in Newlyn and that they act as agents and fuel suppliers in the port. If you ask me this is an abuse of powere and they should have the book thrown at them to the higest level of the law.

I'm sure this is the tip of the iceberg and in these individuals cases are just the times they have been caught and as a much more far reaching effect I'm sure there are plenty out there who haven't been caught.

Illeagal landings of black fish oh no.... that doesn't go on any more. My f*****g a**e.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/6553155.stm

Problem with the fishing mags are that they are nearly three months behind. All three of the above have been detailed on here in the past. the last one has even been mentioned in the houses of parliament during the adjournment debate. Off topic sorry.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..