tackle harms queens swans

captain cojones

Somewhat different to THIS report in 2004, not a single mention of angling then....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Personally, I've given up fishing the Thames at Staines because of the number of swans. Forget loose feeding - you haven't got a chance.

If its not swans, then, on a Sunday morning at any rate, its the rowing clubs. On at least one occasion, I've had to lift my line over a sculler who was so close to the bank and on another, the ladies on one side of an eight had to ship their oars to avoid breaking them on the boat that was moored just upstream of me. Bearing in mind that the river must be at least 50yds wide at this point.

Sorry - bit off topic

Phil Davis

We don't own this world - we've only borrowed it from our children.

Excuse me its not 'according to the BBC' its according to the report published by David Barber

The first line of his quoted report is

"Although the reported incidence of vandalism has decreased in the last year, it is regrettable that the number of injuries caused to mute swans by fishing tackle continue to rise.

END QUOTE.

http://www.gnn.gov.uk/content/detail.asp?N...eleaseID=291126

Tony

How can more cygnets have been damaged by fishing tackle during the closed season? :unsure:

Because it was carelessly and thoughtlessly discarded during the open season.

Unfortunately this is all probably true, and doesn't exactly support our claims as being guardians of the waterways :wallbash:

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Because it was carelessly and thoughtlessly discarded during the open season.

Unfortunately this is all probably true, and doesn't exactly support our claims as being guardians of the waterways :wallbash:

I'm always finding discarded line in my swims and some of its been there a while, ignored by subsequent anglers.

During my sessions I place as much of the stuff as I can in a carrier bag, cut it into 1/2 lengths and place in it the bin.

Tony

Yes there is often discarded line around and yes there's loads of other rubbish thats nothing to do with anglers but we get the blame.

But if the BBc reported it and made an issue of it I am very surprised they did not link the offence to an angler driving a petrol guzzling beast of a 4x4.

Every day the latest news is headed by a survey that says one thing or another sponsered by bbc. They are now not reporting news but trying to create it where sometimes it does not exist.

just my thoughts

john

It seems strange that the Queen's Swan Marker should feel the need to make that comment about injuries due to fishing tackle rising, four weeks before they actually go out and check on the birds. Surely the time to do this would be after the event, when he could presumably say there were X number of injured birds this year, compared to X-N number last year. Then his statement would be truth rather than opinion. I have opinions about the royal family and their lackys, they probably aren't true facts either, so I keep them to myself.