2015 Rutland zander fish-in

Anderoo

Hi Rob, yes - I'll add you, if someone drops out you can share the boat with their partner, if not you can join me and Tigger.

On the paddle tail v/ fork tail, very much personal preference really - both work well and I think confidence has a lot to do with it. If it's windy it means you're drifting along nicely and the boat is moving, in which case I much prefer fork tails, and I barely move them. The action of the boat is enough to put action into the the lures, I give them a little twitch now and again and touch down on the bottom now and then to make sure I'm near the bottom. When the zander are active and feeding this is extremely effective, and all my bigger catches have come to fishing this way.

If it's not windy and you're casting around rather than fishing vertically, it's paddle tails all the way!

However, you can vertically jig with paddle tails and put plenty of action in them, and that does work well too. I just prefer not to and in many circumstances I think it's simply not necessary. And on some days I am sure the extra action is counter-productive. When I'm fishing with Rich it's interesting as I'm usually 'dead sticking' with fork tails and he's usually jigging with paddle tails, and normally throughout the day each method will work best for a while, and then it will switch over. There's more to it than just lure choice and method though, one of you might be positioned better for a drift, especially when drifting around shelves and other structures.

To be honest I just love the static method because I'm still not over the novelty that you can hang a lure off the side of a boat and not move it, and it will get hit by zander - so exciting and so wrong!

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Right, thanks Andrew however I was telling a colleague who's a keen pred angler but not fished for a while and he wanted to come along as well so I've booked another boat.

I bought a reel in preparation earlier this year and am now loooking for a rod. Has anyone got one for sale and what lure weight rating should I be looking for?

My friend is also looking but we may need to borrow a rod and reel if there's spares available?

Looking forward to it!

Edited by Rob Ward

Ok rob no probs, glad you're coming! I have 1 rod I can lend out. Anyone else have a spare rod available?

if buying I'd try to find a fox ultron vertical jig spin in the heavier casting weight (there are 2 casting weights for it). They aren't expensive, fairly easy to get hold of, and will do the job well.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

You'll also need thin braid (say 8lb pp), leader material, lures and jig heads.

Also a drogue unless anyone has a spare - essential!

There's no spare fishfinder as far as I know but you can follow our drifts.

My friend has a Wychwood drogue so we're covered there and I bought a chinese fish finder this year that's pretty good, I'll get the boat mount transducer for it.

On the rods - there's a Fox Rage V Jig on eBay for £54 - worth a punt or stick with the Ultron - is this the right one http://www.climaxtackle.co.uk/fox_rage/ultron_vertical_jig_cast_rod.htm

Cheers

Rob

Edited by Rob Ward

Rob, I tried to order a rod and lures etc from climax and even though they where all listed as being in stock they never had anything ! When my mrs phoned them up (I was out) enquiring why the order wouldn't got through, after passing her from pillar to post eventually a chap told her they don't get any of that stuff in until October ! Personally I wouldn't give them any trade whatsoever, they don't deserve it.

Anderoo sent me a link to http://www.thefriendlyfisherman.co.uk/section17832/pike-and-predator-tackle/lures/jig-hooks-and-offset-hooks.html

They had all (well most) of what I needed and when I phoned them I spoke to the owner who was a really pleasant chap and couldn't have been more helpfull...deserves peoples trade imo.

Check this savage set out...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201330610691?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I know the jig heads arn't very heavy but there's a lot of lures for the price and I think other heavier jig heads will fit onto them ok.

My friend has a Wychwood drogue so we're covered there and I bought a chinese fish finder this year that's pretty good, I'll get the boat mount transducer for it.

On the rods - there's a Fox Rage V Jig on eBay for £54 - worth a punt or stick with the Ultron - is this the right one http://www.climaxtackle.co.uk/fox_rage/ultron_vertical_jig_cast_rod.htm

Cheers

Rob

If you can get a v jig on eBay do that - I have one, it's the right thing!

It's good you have a drogue and fishfinder Rob, all boats are covered in that case :)

I just had a quick look on the Fox Rage website and it looks like they've already discontinued the Ultron rods (I can't see them there anyway). No surprise really where Fox is concerned :rolleyes:

Let me know if you don't get the v jig and are still looking around for something or will need to borrow a rod.

Are you OK for lures, jig heads, etc.?

Just to reiterate, I would make sure you have jig heads from 30-50g. Even with the very thin braid I now use, on very windy days I still need 50g to fish, and even then I'm nowhere near vertical! The Friendl;y Fisherman is the best place to get those.

It's currently fishing well if you can find the fish, there is a lot of empty water and the fishing can be patchy, but some areas have been very good indeed. A few perch have terned up too which is nice, and the odd small pike. It's been interesting talking to other predator anglers at the end of the day, some have really struggled and others have had loads.