INCONSIDERATE YOUNG ANGLERS

Janet

The one I'll never forgive. The one I'd like to see jointed, skewered with garlic cloves then gently roasted...

Janet

You cannot do that! Garlic destroys the taste entirely. First you should gut him (like a large cod), then stuff the cavity with sage leaves and sliced fennel. Then get two cooking apples and insert one into his mouth - I will leave it up to your imagination where you insert the second apple.... THEN gently roast him on a spit over an open fire.

Serve with a side salad :thumbs:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brumagem Phil
Stop being such a cynic! They're not all bad.

Who told you that load of old rot?

Myself and a mate had the same experience a couple of summers ago in a council park.......kinda embarrasing being forced to leave a place by a bunch of 8 year olds!!!

Still, like you say, what can you do?

Still, like you say, what can you do?

I refer the honourable member to the answer I gave in post #3.... :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Guest Brumagem Phil
I refer the honourable member to the answer I gave in post #3.... :)

I rather preferred the one involving concrete!

Cut his line and then if asked, swear it broke as he was trying to assult you with the rod.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

As a newby you won't know the delights of the school holidays yet :rolleyes: It will soon be like that every day. Mother drops gang of six at the water at 9 o'clock, only returns for two minutes to deliver lunch (usually including cans to throw in) and doesn't pick up until five, by which time they have long since got bored with fishing and turned to more amusing things!

The ensuing tangle ended up with me losing my favourite float. I caught my very first fish with that one, so it had sentimental value! (Yes, I know, silly woman....)

Hi Janet,

I think you'll find most of us have horror stories about kids or other anglers behaving like demented idiots, its part of the reason I avoid popular fisheries in favour of quiet river stretches. I recall an old chap telling me once how some kids spent some time with him talking and asking questions whilst he was fishing at a local pond; the kids seemed to be alright and he asked them to mind his tackle so he could nip into the clubhouse for a call of nature. By the time he'd got back (literally 2 minutes) they'd stolen everything he had - and this guy was a retired old man. It's shocking sometimes, todays generation seem to based around a culture of disrespect and ignorance towards other people. I'm sure there are many young people who do not follow this manifesto, I don't think I was ever an angel when I was young but I knew how to behave. Saying that, I've seen adult anglers messing around and screaming on commercial fisheries - all you can do is shake your head and move sometimes.

As for the float - I know exactly how you feel, I've still got some floats that I baby because they were the first ones I had when I started fishing as a boy. They're battered and bruised but I cherish them! ;)

Aaron

Feral kids are obnoxious, but I'm sure it's nothing new. Other kids were a pain in the backside when my friends and I were children; we took our fishing seriously, and having other kids thieving, making noise, throwing things in or swimming were as much of a nuisance to us as to everyone else. I think the difference then was that they would leg it if a grown-up bellowed at them, whereas now you're more likely to get an earful of how you can't touch them. Our solution was to only fish public waters early mornings, and to join a couple of clubs with gated ponds.

I'd been trotting a float downstream, so I moved upstream of him thinking I'd be safer there, even though I'd have been limited to shorter runs. No chance! He just started lobbing his bloody feeder in, upstream this time, and across my line yet again!

I'd have let him do it, and made sure I won the tug of war before I pocketed his feeder.

Rich