Mullet

Matt Baldwin

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Aug 14 2007, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->:clap2: Trespass isn't against the criminal law, it's a civil offence but it is still an offence and a trespasser can be sued for any damage they cause.

I'm not emphesising the law, just the moral attitude of some that think because it's not a criminal offence it's OK. If a person walks through your open door and makes themselves at home, that's OK with you then because they've not broken the law, because they are in your house as a trespasser, they didn't break in so you can't call the police because they've not broken the law, but you can use reasonable force to remove them if they don't leave when asked. They may not be criminals but they would be darned inconvenient at a dinner party. :clap2:

Norm I see your piont, But as I said, Matt was not tresspassing so all you and I are doing is discussing semantics, if damage is done whilst a act of tresspass is taking place the laws surrounding burglary can be used if you cause damage having been invited its criminal damage, None of these issues apply to Matts Magical Mystery Mullet nor Matt B him self,

Can we beg to differ on this one Mate :thumbs:

:clap2: We certainly can, I'm just putting a point of view, I don't wish to be contentious, remember I was the one that told Matt his fish was a possible record and how to claim it, I also sent him a prize. It's a shame that such a superb catch has to have all the c**p that now surrounding it. :clap2:

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone and for ALL your comments.Do you not think that it is time to put this matter to a close?

Before you do that though i would like to reply to Mr.Slater's statements.

On the day i caught my prize mullet (well its a prize to me), i didn't start fishing untill i had finished the job, which was about 5pm. Although Mr.Slater states that it is a "STRICTLY NO FISHING marina", he follows that by stating that boat owners have an odd crafty line. He also said that i was sacked pretty unceremoniously. The only time he told me i was sacked was over the telephone when he called me later that evening. I reiterate what I said earlier in that there was no mess left on the boat when i left that afternoon with my dad. He will also confirm that there was no mess left on the boat by ME.

He said his father caught me red handed witha huge landing net but his father was on another boat about 200 ft away from Mr.Slater's boat. There was no one else on the boat at that time apart from my dad standing on the pontoon.I DID NOT declare infront of three people that I had scooped it up in a net. I caught this fish with my rod and line. I took my rod and line down with me as i was hopeful to have a short fish after i had finished cleaning, as Mr.Slater had earlier mentioned to me.

I did what Mr.Slater asked me to do on the boat, however he was not there to show me what to do and how he wanted it doing and that is why I rang him on several occasions to find out what time he would be there to show me what to do. I have never cleaned on a boat before so didn't know where to start or what to use.

I did email Mr.Slater afterwards but to say that if he didn't think that i did a very good job of the cleaing, don't pay me. I had also given up a days work to work on Mr.Slater's boat, which i was looking forward to. I also said that IF there was any mess, but there wasn't any mess, i was just going along with what he was saying. My father will vouch that there was NO MESS. I also did not have cause to say sorry for being caught with his landing net because i only used it to land the fish after i had played it on rod and line as if i had tried to lift the fish, it would have snapped the line.

I have a passion for fishing and i have a passion for boats and there is no way that i would treat either with such disrespect and leave the boat in the way that Mr.Slater had described i had left it.

Mr.Slater said there was no sign of a rod onboard his boat, well he didn't look very hard as it was ontop of his boat. The lockers he mentioned were full of equipment, I know this because i had to look in them for the cleaning fluid and cloths. No way would i have fitted my rod into one of them.

I must admit that the sun had given me a headache that day as it was very hot and sunny and there was no way of getting out of the sun so that is why Mr.Slater thinks that i was not the usual Matt.

Mr.Slater also states that my dad was no where to be seen. Mr.Slater wasn't even down the marina when my dad arrived so he wouldn't even know if my dad had arrived or not.

Mr.Slater stated that his father had asked me what i was doing. He did not, all he said was "you're meant to be working" and from 200ft away he had to shout loud and i hardly heard him. No way had i said that i had scooped up a big mullet. He wasn't even on his own boat, he was on someone elses boat with just one other person with him. I was not on my mobile phone to my dad or anyone as i never have any credit for calls. As soon as Mr.Slater's dad shouted that i was meant to be working he got on hs mobile to Mr.Slater. 45 minutes later, Mr.Slater phoned me up and said i was sacked.

I had pre-arranged with my dad to pick me up at 5pm. He arrived just before 5pm. He did not drive down with a camera, the pictures where taken on my mobile phone with a camera on it.

Yes my friends have asked me to try and get them a spot of fishing inside the marina but i know that you can't.

Just a couple of discrepancies- Mr.Slater's boat has decreased from £300k to £250k. He later stated that he spent hours cleaning his boat, then later states that he got someone else to do it.

I feel that i can't let all this go by without defending myself and what ever the outcome that the judges decision is final. I know that i caught a great fish fair and sqaure, so lets put an end to this saga and get on with our fishing!

Matt Baldwin

Hia's All

I take it the group Hug is on hold ? :unsure:

May be If angry Boat owner hadnt been as hastey with his first post and constructed it with all these new facts in place and in order, his statement may have been more credable,Instead It seemed to me

a exercise in back Peddling. Colin Mentioning the Poor gentleman who was Kicked to death by the verminous scum in Cheshire and trying to draw a comparrison to Matts alleged behaviour Is damn right deplorable What on earth are you talking about :angry: Secondly the boat record is what it says on the box if you are standing on a boat thats what you caught it on. Mored up in a birth or anchored

off shore.

I've apologised a number of times for the initial outbursts - no threats were ever intended - not so much back peddling, just trying to invoke some thoughts on some of the facts and ask some VERY pertinant questions about the record request/submission.

Matt is NOT a bad lad and is usually really helpful, polite and I've fished with him on a few occasions. I even dropped him off at home once as his Dad was unable to collect him. So there is NO comparison with anybody who would cause harm etc. On this point I agree with this forum member.

BUT - just a thought on the boat record and this is one of the reasons for posting here :

Imagine if I took my inflatable tender up to the London Aquarium, got it inside, pumped it up grabbed a telescopic rod and dangled a half a mackeral in the shark enclosure... All hypothetical but I imagine the pro-Matt brigade would like to see me IN the tank. If I caught the record Tiger Shark whilst sat in the boat - would the record be set/held "fair & square" and would you chaps pat me on the back and applaud my efforts ?

It's stretching the issue somewhat, but that's my (laboured) point....

Thanks everyone and for ALL your comments.Do you not think that it is time to put this matter to a close?

Before you do that though i would like to reply to Mr.Slater's statements.

On the day i caught my prize mullet (well its a prize to me), i didn't start fishing untill i had finished the job, which was about 5pm. Although Mr.Slater states that it is a "STRICTLY NO FISHING marina", he follows that by stating that boat owners have an odd crafty line. He also said that i was sacked pretty unceremoniously. The only time he told me i was sacked was over the telephone when he called me later that evening. I reiterate what I said earlier in that there was no mess left on the boat when i left that afternoon with my dad. He will also confirm that there was no mess left on the boat by ME.

He said his father caught me red handed witha huge landing net but his father was on another boat about 200 ft away from Mr.Slater's boat. There was no one else on the boat at that time apart from my dad standing on the pontoon.I DID NOT declare infront of three people that I had scooped it up in a net. I caught this fish with my rod and line. I took my rod and line down with me as i was hopeful to have a short fish after i had finished cleaning, as Mr.Slater had earlier mentioned to me.

I did what Mr.Slater asked me to do on the boat, however he was not there to show me what to do and how he wanted it doing and that is why I rang him on several occasions to find out what time he would be there to show me what to do. I have never cleaned on a boat before so didn't know where to start or what to use.

I did email Mr.Slater afterwards but to say that if he didn't think that i did a very good job of the cleaing, don't pay me. I had also given up a days work to work on Mr.Slater's boat, which i was looking forward to. I also said that IF there was any mess, but there wasn't any mess, i was just going along with what he was saying. My father will vouch that there was NO MESS. I also did not have cause to say sorry for being caught with his landing net because i only used it to land the fish after i had played it on rod and line as if i had tried to lift the fish, it would have snapped the line.

I have a passion for fishing and i have a passion for boats and there is no way that i would treat either with such disrespect and leave the boat in the way that Mr.Slater had described i had left it.

Mr.Slater said there was no sign of a rod onboard his boat, well he didn't look very hard as it was ontop of his boat. The lockers he mentioned were full of equipment, I know this because i had to look in them for the cleaning fluid and cloths. No way would i have fitted my rod into one of them.

I must admit that the sun had given me a headache that day as it was very hot and sunny and there was no way of getting out of the sun so that is why Mr.Slater thinks that i was not the usual Matt.

Mr.Slater also states that my dad was no where to be seen. Mr.Slater wasn't even down the marina when my dad arrived so he wouldn't even know if my dad had arrived or not.

Mr.Slater stated that his father had asked me what i was doing. He did not, all he said was "you're meant to be working" and from 200ft away he had to shout loud and i hardly heard him. No way had i said that i had scooped up a big mullet. He wasn't even on his own boat, he was on someone elses boat with just one other person with him. I was not on my mobile phone to my dad or anyone as i never have any credit for calls. As soon as Mr.Slater's dad shouted that i was meant to be working he got on hs mobile to Mr.Slater. 45 minutes later, Mr.Slater phoned me up and said i was sacked.

I had pre-arranged with my dad to pick me up at 5pm. He arrived just before 5pm. He did not drive down with a camera, the pictures where taken on my mobile phone with a camera on it.

Yes my friends have asked me to try and get them a spot of fishing inside the marina but i know that you can't.

Just a couple of discrepancies- Mr.Slater's boat has decreased from £300k to £250k. He later stated that he spent hours cleaning his boat, then later states that he got someone else to do it.

I feel that i can't let all this go by without defending myself and what ever the outcome that the judges decision is final. I know that i caught a great fish fair and sqaure, so lets put an end to this saga and get on with our fishing!

Matt Baldwin

Matt

If you TRULY did catch it on rod and line then I apologise - perhaps out of panic for being caught fishing down there you may have told a "porker" to me and my father about netting it. Only you know whether you did or you didn't. Quite how you pulled that leviathan out from the side of my boat with all the stern drives / pontoon and other boats is amazing - well done if you did. Maybe that spinning rod with the multiplier had 30lb braid on it ? :rolleyes:

Maybe you got a touch of sunstroke - which would explain a lot - for sure you were not your usual self at all that day.

I can't condone the submission of a record for the fish - for ALL of the reasons I have posted and others have discussed - at length. I agree to disagree.

My boat's gone down from £300k to £250k because of all the bread on it - can I have an IOU for the 50 grand plse :thumbs:

I also apologise PROFUSELY for any intimidation / threats caused by the "I hope I don't bump into you down the marina" - I've explained that here.

I'll stand by that coke at the next mullet club meeting and I'll shake your hand - life IS too short for grudges.

Tight Lines to all the forum members - I'll S*D off and get a life now.

Mark

All I want is for the NMC chair ( mr rigden) to just say they can not give Mat the shed load off trophies as that would be to condone fishing in no fishing areas.

Are you a member of the NMC? If so, it's probably best to approach them directly.

If you're not a member, then it's none of your business what they do, surely?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Matt, could you clarify one thing for me please? the second pic shows you holding the fish and there is a rod broken down into two halves leaning on the cabin. Was this the rod you used to catch the fish?

I only ask because in all my 60 years fishing, I have never caught a biggun and then taken the trouble to BREAK DOWN my rod and carefully lean it somewhere while a fish is flapping around in the landing net, and I don't think I have ever seen any one else do it either.

To me, it doesn't add up.............................. but maybe you can add more?

Just for the record you know.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Hi Elton,

In today’s environment where bodies like BASS, SACN, NFSA and the NMC work to combat over fishing many anglers like myself will be thinking of joining such organisations. Not so much for the angling side of things but to try and do their bit to support such bodies.

But if a body like the NMC will not even make a statement saying it will not award trophies to anglers who catch fish from no fishing zones it does not bode well for anglers like myself who would consider joining.

I am not a member of the NFFO (the commercial fisherman’s version of the NFSA) but they make decisions that will affect my angling, this makes it my business.

The same goes for any organisations that have the ability to influence government on fisheries policy; it then becomes every stakeholders business.

At the moment the NMC to my mind seem to be condoning the fact that Mat Baldwin caught his mullet of a lifetime from a no fishing area. The NMC is doing this be statement like the one that David Rigden made on the BASS forum stating that Mat looked likely to walk away with a vanload of trophies despite the controversy.

Please Please check this out!

http://www.justgiving.com/tacyedewick?ref=

Hi Elton,

In today’s environment where bodies like BASS, SACN, NFSA and the NMC work to combat over fishing many anglers like myself will be thinking of joining such organisations. Not so much for the angling side of things but to try and do their bit to support such bodies.

But if a body like the NMC will not even make a statement saying it will not award trophies to anglers who catch fish from no fishing zones it does not bode well for anglers like myself who would consider joining.

I am not a member of the NFFO (the commercial fisherman’s version of the NFSA) but they make decisions that will affect my angling, this makes it my business.

The same goes for any organisations that have the ability to influence government on fisheries policy; it then becomes every stakeholders business.

At the moment the NMC to my mind seem to be condoning the fact that Mat Baldwin caught his mullet of a lifetime from a no fishing area. The NMC is doing this be statement like the one that David Rigden made on the BASS forum stating that Mat looked likely to walk away with a vanload of trophies despite the controversy.

Sorry, Sam. I forgot they'd made you a saint. You carry on making mischief, as only you know how. Angling needs more people like you.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE