Kayakfishing Chat - continues

Newt

Speciman:

Was wondering if anyone used their kayak for 'conventional' bottom fishing. Don't know what type of a rod to get for the yak. Want to do some bottom fishing for ray, flatties etc.. would a 12lb class rod suffice?

Hi Speciman. Most of the fishing I've done from the yak has been bottom fishing over reefs while drifting. IME yak fishing suits light gear

Up until now I've been using a crappy no brand rod of about 20-30lbs class, but its been well over the top for the under 10lb cod in my area. Last summer I started using jellies, leadhead and braid on a spinning rod, which worked well except that the braid I chose was too thin (15lb or so) and a pain to work with.

Generally I've found the lighter the better when fishing from the yak as even with 15 lb line the yak will move before anything snaps. Also if you get hooked up on the bottom its not always easy to pull for a break in the yak if the lines to heavy; I used my shore reel, kitted with 40lb mono, one day and pulling that free from a snag was no fun.

Enough length in the rod to clear the bow and stern of the yak is handy too in case the yak turns while your playing a fish.

Just got a 12-20lb Abu Premium rod from Torbay Angling (01803 552496) for £22.99 plus p&p ! ( thanks to a tip from Aldernaybassman :) ). Not used it yet but it seems well made, nice guides and a great length for the yak at 7'9".

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

Can anybody help me with posting a couple of pics. Have read the stuff on previous page and have resized accordingly. But how do I actually post them in the correct thread with my message. Have been to the upload page but am not sure how this knows where to post the pics.

Cheers

Thanks Jaffa will give it a go here, just wanted to try it out for future reference.

Posted Image

Second ever paddle, first in open sea.

Posted Image

Me and my Caper, think we are just about ready to start fishing.

I've had two paddles on my caper now.. one more which will include me jumping off kayak & I should be all set to 'start' fishing. hope to go to Brownsea Island Poole Harbour tomorrow, weather, partner and energy levels permitting.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi Yaskalos,

Nice pics, thanks for posting them.

Always good to see folks and thier Yaks.

Looks like a cracking day for it.

Have you got a paddle leash??

If not, be a good idea to get one, or make one before you go fishing

Dont want to loose your engine......do you ?? :D

Good luck with the fishing.

Dont forget the reports and pics of your outings.

Would be nice to see how you are doing,and what your cathing

yy :)

Hi everyone - I hope I have managed to put up a picture of the mini flare pack I suggested to carry on your person when Yakking. You cannot beat good flares when talking....

They are the Mini Flare 3 by Pains Wessex and what are prescribed in the rules for offshore racing - 8 or 9 in a pack (without looking I forget) 6 second burn time per rocket.

Here goes..Posted Image

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo