What bait 4 big bream

billyspleen

I`m fishing every day now and have caught a few 2 pound bream but I still want a 4 or 5 pounder but I just can`t get it yesterday a 4 pounder broke the service but I didn`t get it can anyone give me any tis to get my drem fish?

the first question is are there fish of that size in the venue you are fishing? if so then they will probably be sitting in a large open area of the pool, many people say (and i am in agreement) that the groundbait feeder used with natural baits ie worm (ideally redworms or dendras) usually with casters or red maggies works a treat. The main issue is that larger bream tend to be nocturnal feeders so if night fishing is allowed at the venue in question then try that.

with regards to baits, this is how i usually set about a day session on the feeder, mix of groundbait includes 50% brown crumb and 50% fishmeal based groundbait with a sprinkling of powdered vde brasem additive. once mixed i leave it for about 20-30 mins then riddle out all the lumps. Added to the ground bait is a handfull of casters, chopped worms and 3 mm halibut pellts, this is then pounded into my chosen swim via a large feeder, usually 6-10 feederfuls dependant on conditions, ideally an overcast day with a breeze coming off your back is best, i then switch to a smalller feeder to top up the swim with every cast.

on the hook is usually a wormand maggot or caster cocktail. Bites can be slow in coming but if the bream get their heads down you can be in for some good action.

Pre-baiting also works, do this for a couple of days before to stop any patrolling fish in their tracks.

hope this helps with your quest.

mooserx :thumbs:

I recently caught over 15 Bream on a 10mm Source Boilie on the method feeder. I'll admit that they were all hybrids and non weighed over 3Ib, but I also caught a couple of Carp, including a Koi and a nice Tench. So it seemed that my little mixture was liked by all.

I use Marine halibut groundbait and 3mm pellet, with some hempseed and a hand full of the boilies and then mix in some mainline halibut syrup. Make the mixture quite damp so that it will mould around the feeder and not fall apart in the water. Everytime I've used it the fish have gone mad for it.

Fish Surrey

As previously mentioned you need to have big bream in the water to catch them! Secondly to get your tactics right you need to establish how many big bream are present (not exact numbers obviously!) this will greatly influence your choice of tactics especially groundbaiting.Find that out and I can gladly give you some tips as Ive fished examples of both types.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I`m fishing on a canal i went out earlier 2day and caught a 2lb bream and 2 1lb I`ve seen 6 pounders come out but only ever seen 1 carp caught.

Unfortunateley billy you're fishing a canal and this gives the bream licence to roam, if you can find a good breamy feature ie a big wide turning area or a large marina where the water is quite deep then this would be a good place to start. if you have a local stilll water with bream then any of the tactics and baits mentioned would be worth a try. give your local commercial a bash, they usually have some good shoals of bream that have grown nice and big due to the amount of high protien food pitched in by the carpers. but be prepe#ared to catch a few carp as well.

mooserx

I'VE QUITE A FEW LOVELY 4 POUNDERS NOW, REALLY DARK WITH A BROAD BODY!!!

I FIND THE BEST RIG IS, 30GR DRENNAN OPEN END FEEDER,RUNNING FREE WITH COUPLE OF STOP SHOT AT HOOK END, I USE 6LB LINE AND I FIND ITS FINE TO RUN STRAIGHT THROUGH TO A SIZE 14/16 HOOK!!BAIT WISE I USE MOSTLY BROWN CRUMB MAYBE SOME WHITE, MIXED UP WITH SWEETCORN JUICE AND SOME CORN MIXED IN, WITH MAGGOTS MAYBE SOME CASTERS ETC.

THEN FISH CLIPPED TO TO A TIGHT SPOT AND GET SOME BAIT OUT AND TRY MAGGOT, IF GET TIDDLER PROBLEM MAYBE CHANGE TO WORM OR SWEETCORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HOPE IT HELPS!!!!!!!

Hi carper AJ. Could you please take off the CAPS LOCK when you post. It is harder to read all caps and the older you get, the harder it is.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President