how to stop catching bream

egbert

It's a funny one this.

I avoid commercials like the plague, but on association waters I have fished, (with a decent head of carp). I can be quite happily catching roach, bream, perch etc, and BAM! the carp move in, and that's all I get from then on in. This happens so regularly that I believe on these waters, the carp do muscle in and drive the other fish off.

I have on occasions continued to catch the odd tench, or bream, but the carp seem to get there first regardless of bait.

As Budgie says, I think it's down to number of things, and varies from water to water.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess im just gunna have to move were my bait is if i start to catch bream. i dont have a problem catching bream but its just that they hardly fight they just sit there and let you reel them in :schmoll: no fun in that. i might give bigger boilies a try just to see what happens and not to put to much groundbait out for them. thanks guys

i know this might sound odd but ive been fishing a commercial lake thats full to the brim with bream and only a small head of big carp. the only way i seem to stop the bream is loads and loads of particlesi use a small stringer of bollies and spod particles over the top i ussually catch 2 or 3 bream then just carp dont know why this happens but it just seems to work.

scott

You could always try baiting up with ewe nuts, well away from where you are fishing. Bream can't seem to resist them.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

are you fishing alone or with friends, if its the latter talk them into using something like the grange csl and getting them to feed loads of csl pellets it ll help keep the bream away and give you a laugh at the state of them after cathing nowt but bream

:-)

i guess im just gunna have to move were my bait is if i start to catch bream. i dont have a problem catching bream but its just that they hardly fight they just sit there and let you reel them in :schmoll: no fun in that.

It depends on what gear your using, if it's carp tackle, no wonder you just reel them in. :rolleyes:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I've been fishing a large resi that has a huge population of Bream but as was mentioned earlier, if you just use boilies and no particles and definately no pellet then the bream seem to show little or no interest.

I found this to be the case on a few different waters I fish.

Had same problem with bream myself (having recently taken up carp fishing.)

Stopped feeding groundbaits and particles and now trying using just boilies as hook and feed bait which seems to have worked.

Also fishing in close to margins or in bays seems to have resulted in many less bream and more carp than when casting into open water - which is probably common sense but worth a go. Also more tench this way, which you may not want either if you are purely for the carp, but personally for me are always as welcome as any carp.

For me the best way to avoid bream is to fish for them! The only trouble then is I catch nuisance fish like tench and carp!

Joking apart, I'm finding this topic very useful for ideas on catching bream and avoiding other species. Please keep the ideas coming.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

We have found in our lake that you need to bait two areas of you swim, one for the greedy silver fish and one that is 1 - 2 feet away for the carp.

Also groundbait a spot in the margins and leave it until you see signs off life, keep topping up during your session. when you see the signs.... gently drop in your you bait and hold on

do not leave unattended you might lose your tackle

Some scoff at margin fishing but it works for me.... whether using margin poles or feeder rod. Admittedly those pesky silver fish still bite, but not as much.

Boilies can be a waste of money too, pellets 6 - 8 mm, we have caught on unusual bait too including Maltesers, Pineapple chunks, and they went absolutley berserk over chocolate and orange snack o jacks, the snack o jacks were floating and did not last long but the carp came steaming from over 50 yards away for them !

Good Luck and Tight Lines