Barbel Help

happypiker

Hi, i live in France and often see these torpedoes when i look over bridges in and around where i live, problem is i can't get them to take !!!!! In saying that i have not really fished for them cos i don't really know whats what for barbel. Tried sweetcorn hand fed into river and they take a few bits, slip on a hook ???????? same results with maggot :wallbash:

I am sure there is a lot more to it eg hook length, hook size, floats etc. Can someone give me a basic rig set up and bait to use and then at least i know its all down to my own amateurish actions. I am by nature an ex salmon fisher who turned to pike fishing due to working saturdays back home in Scotland and latterly got into sea fishing, problem here is i'm miles from the sea.

Many thanks in advance for all if any info, happypiker.

Will try to post a picture of my last great capture.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rabbit
Gee whizz guys and gals, thanks for all the info :schmoll:

Hi there

This lot are not normally this slow, so apologies, I do a bit of barbelling myself, and there re a few others on here as well. But I will try and give some advice later, just off to work :wallbash:

Guest tigger

I've only been fishing for Barbel from the start of this season but I've been lucky up to now and had some great fish.

Regarding methods, hooklenghts, bait etc I don't think there's a fixed rule.

I've been using a hooklength of between 8 to 12 inches on a fixed bolt rig using a 3.5 ounce lead and have hooked everyone in the lip or just inside the mouth. I've also used a sliding rig and had just the same results as well. For my bait I've had them on pellets and Luncheon, Luncheon being the favourite. We were out fishing the other night and my m8 used two peices of sweetcorn hooked directly on the hook combined with a feeder containing Hemp and soaked trout pellets and he got some super fish.

I've only fished one river for them up to now but I would imagine they're much the same to fish for in other places also just try and avoid the snaggy areas otherwise you'll loose lots of hooklenghts etc. There are other methods such as trotting (I belive a worm works well) for them if you prefer a more mobile sesh.

Just get out and have a go, at worst you'll blank but there's always next time . :thumbs:

Rabbit is a seasoned Barbel man so he will probably give you some better advice along with a few others on AN.

Edited by tigger

Hi mate, What's the river like? Is it wide, narrow, deep, is there plenty of cover ie, weed beds, willows etc?

I know the modern trend is to use bolt rigs, with heavy leads/feeders, but in the type of swim I like to fish, casting one of them would make the fish disappear for hours.

I prefer as little on the line as possible, just the bait and a swanshot or two. Or trotting a float, if the swim allows it.

A lot depends on the water/swim your fishing, so to give an answer to your question, would need a bit more info' from you.

When you've made enough posts, (16 I think), you will have full use of the sites facilities.

If you click on the 'search' option at the top of the page, and enter 'barbel', you will come up with loads of threads that will interest you. I'm surprised more people don't do this, it's often the quickest way to get info', and makes good reading.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi guys, thanks for getting in touch, was a bit worried that i would be overlooked being a newbie.

The river is very clean, long flowing weed beds gliding into deep pools preceded by fast flowing rapids, i would imagine similar to the chalk streams you have down south. The water is usually gin clear and the fish are easily visible, normally standing on top of the bridges spanning the river they are seen cruising between the beds and taking refuge in the shade of the bridge.

We cannot get hemp here in in any quantity, i believe there is some kind of law about using uncooked hemp :unsure: and luncheon meat is a no go here, closest we have is sausage that comes in a roll like some brands of dog food.

There is a big carping contingent here and the tackle shops seem to be well stocked with carp baits and groundbaits etc. Is there anything in that area that i can use, not necessary to give specific tastes or brands etc just a rough guide.

I have fished some of the bigger rivers and had some success with brown crumb and sweetcorn/maggot catching bream and roach,whilst this is enjoyable the thought of hooking into one of these express trains and trying to derail it is taking up every moment of my working day, the river is 50 metres away and lunch time on the bank sounds the very ticket.

I hope this description is whetting your appetite, cos its sure getting me edgy to get going, will give em a go tomorrow. I will post my hopeful results after my trip, happypiker.

Will try uploading a photo of one of my catches, again.

Guest tigger
Hi guys, thanks for getting in touch, was a bit worried that i would be overlooked being a newbie.

The river is very clean, long flowing weed beds gliding into deep pools preceded by fast flowing rapids, i would imagine similar to the chalk streams you have down south. The water is usually gin clear and the fish are easily visible, normally standing on top of the bridges spanning the river they are seen cruising between the beds and taking refuge in the shade of the bridge.

We cannot get hemp here in in any quantity, i believe there is some kind of law about using uncooked hemp :unsure: and luncheon meat is a no go here, closest we have is sausage that comes in a roll like some brands of dog food.

There is a big carping contingent here and the tackle shops seem to be well stocked with carp baits and groundbaits etc. Is there anything in that area that i can use, not necessary to give specific tastes or brands etc just a rough guide.

I have fished some of the bigger rivers and had some success with brown crumb and sweetcorn/maggot catching bream and roach,whilst this is enjoyable the thought of hooking into one of these express trains and trying to derail it is taking up every moment of my working day, the river is 50 metres away and lunch time on the bank sounds the very ticket.

I hope this description is whetting your appetite, cos its sure getting me edgy to get going, will give em a go tomorrow. I will post my hopeful results after my trip, happypiker.

Where abouts are you that you can't get hold of hemp and especially Luncheon meat?

If you can get Trout pellets or hallibuts give them a go or you could use maggot, corn or worms, there'salways something you can use. If the water is clear maybe stalking them with a couple of swan shot as Gozzer says and using any of the mentioned bait plus a few freebees to start.

Edited by tigger

If you can get carp baits then try fishmeal boilies or fishmeal paste - my PB was caught on a squid and octopus flavour boilie and I've had plenty of big barbel on paste. A piece of sausage could also work well, or a chunk of salami.

On a river like you describe I'd either fish a bolt rig, preferably lowering it into one of the gravelly glides between the weed or roll a bait down the glides. In very clear water the hour each side of dusk can be most productive, so try a late session if you can.

I usually feed several swims before fishing and don't cast out for at least an hour after feeding to give the fish time to settle on the free offerings.

Good luck in catching one - you'll be amazed by the fight.

Tight Lines

Will

Hello happypiker and welcome to the forums :)

I can't help you on your request for help, but as you've now found out we are always willing to help someone out when we can - newbie or not ;)

It might have been better though to have started a new thread, that way people would know there is someone out there wanting help, something to consider next time perhaps? Anyway, with a bit of luck more people will come on and advise you :)

I've just taken the liberty of splitting the thread, you might get more responses now....

Tight lines, John

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I was just about to say luncheon meat but I just read your last post!

It sounds like a lovely place. I'm not a barbel expert (I've caught two!). Both on Spam on a very simple running rig.

Go for the fast areas between the weed. You could either leave it static or 'trundle' the bait through (bit trickier and best done with braid mainline all the way through)

This article might be of interest (hope it's ok to link to it?):

French Barbel

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.