Time for a new quiver tip

DJMCJERICO

LLo all,

I'm thinking of purchasing a new quiver tip and would like your help.

I will mainly be using it for stillwater fishing for carp, tench and bream, taking line to about 8lb.

I'm thinking of fishing a couple of match's this year, so would like something strong enough so as not to be playing fish all day, but nor do i wan't to bully them in. (don't want a lot do i)

I'm thinking in the price range of about £60.(cheapskate)

I would be gratefull for any suggestions :)

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

get yourself a John Wilson Avon Quiver system rod

from e-bay like this ONE

or from this guy who runs a E-bay Shop

or a barbel/quiver system rod like this ONE

i've used mine for exactly this type of fishing on a commercial fishery (mallory park/glebe)

as this should cover your every need

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Cheers for the recommendation's Steve.

Never been keen to try the John wilson range, they just scream cheese to me for some reason, pay for the name type of job. (no offence to anybody that owns them)

How does everybody else get on with these?

Ideally i'd like something about a 2lb tc, as my 2/3 tc carps rods where nearly being pulled off the pod last time i was there (although i was using bolt rigs)

Like the look of the barbel rod though.

Thanks

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

I've just helped a mate buy a rod of this type. We were looking for the JW; I've had the mkI version for years and, cheese apart, think it's a brilliant bit of kit. I assumed that pretty much every local shop would stock them, since they seem to be so popular, but there were none to be found.

We tried a few other similar rods. Some of those marketed as barbel rods were 1.75lb test curve jobs, and while fine for barbel were just a bit too stiff for what I had in mind.

We eventually found a 1.5lb TC Daiwa model for 70 quid which felt good in the shop. It's not seen a fish yet, but I had a couple of casts with it and it feels very nice. I think the stiffer rods would have struggled to cast waggler gear on the Avon tip.

Just to show rods are personal things, I won a Mk.1 John Wilson Avon some years ago for some catch or other. The quivertip top was fine, but I found the hollow Avon top stiff and lifeless.

Certainly, it would have been unsuitable for ledgering for the smaller species such as roach and perch, let alone most of the float fishing I do. Despite being rated for 3 to 6lb line, I reckon it was more suited to barbel fishing and 5 to 10lb line.

In fact I disliked it so much I gave it away to a friend, who I hope liked it more than I did!

I'm told the later versions have a different action, but never having seen them, I can't comment.

For the same reason I can't comment on current quivertip models. However, the best Avon/quivertip rod I've ever handled was one with Bob James's name on it. That is apart from the Fledger series that I designed myself!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Last year i purchased a Normark crusader bomb rod 11.5 feet with three tips 1.5oz,2oz,and 3oz

the line rating is from 3lb to 7lb but i feel that is more down to diameter of the line.

The quality of the rod is superb and the finish excellent,i have used the rod for 1/4oz arsleys to 1.5oz method feeder without any problems.

This rod was very expensive but Tackle bargins have it at the moment for about £60.00 from RRP of £175.00 well worth a look.

PS this rod has a wonderful action and in my opinion will play mighty fish.

[ 05. July 2005, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: medwaygreen ]

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

The Bob James rod I mentioned was distributed by Normark whilst Bob was a consultant for them. Having seen other Normark quivertip rods I'd bet the one medwaygreen has recommended from first hand experience will be a good 'un. And that price of just £60 for a Normark seems like a real bargain!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve Burke:

Just to show rods are personal things, I won a Mk.1 John Wilson Avon some years ago for some catch or other.  The quivertip top was fine, but I found the hollow Avon top stiff and lifeless.  

Certainly, it would have been unsuitable for ledgering for the smaller species such as roach and perch, let alone most of the float fishing I do.  Despite being rated for 3 to 6lb line, I reckon it was more suited to barbel fishing and 5 to 10lb line.

Hmm. You could be right, I've never used the Avon top for smaller species; if I'm legering I'll use the quiver, and if I'm float fishing for them, I'll use a match rod. The avon top is used for my tench fishing and for fishing big floats for chub. It won't cast a light waggler or stick. The quiver works fine for smaller species: see below!

Posted Image

A freind recently purchased a Shimano Hyperloop Feeder rod as a back up for his more expensive feeder rod and was raving about it. They are available for £39-50 and have had very good reviews in the press. A quick web search and wou will find some reviews as well.

I havent used it personaly but do have Hyperloop barbel and carp rods which I use for my ocaisional Sea Fishing trips. If the feeder rods are anything like as good, then they will be well worth a look