Changeable Conditions!

SeaDooDavid

Whoa!! What a trip I just had :wacko: I set off around 10~ish for a quick bait bash (to get some maccies for Pike fishing!) and it was flat calm when I set off!. I had met a guy I see a lot in a small green 12ft boat on the shore while I was checking out the conditions. There was NO wind and the sea was almost flat except for a gentle swell.

I set off and it was great, small swell and no wind. On the way out to my mark (1.5 miles max) I went over a huge bait fish ball on the finder so I stopped and dropped feathers among em! I was there no more than 5 minutes when the swell suddenly started getting quite a bit bigger and I decided to stay where I was. The guy in the small boat was further and saw me and came over. He said "where did this wind come from" and said it was really blowing just a little further out. As we talked, literally 5 minutes the waves had become huge and I scuttled back in and landed in huge surf! (without spilling luckilly!) Just goes to show, it was flat calm to very choppy really in only 10 minutes!! Scarey stuff!

SDD~~~ :sun:

That's why I bang on at you guys from time to time to treat the sea with respect. The ocean makes an exiting mistress, but one with no thought, care or respect for human life.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Think in the main your preaching to the converted thankfully :rolleyes:
In the main, Martin yes I agree. Now and again i see posters who question the validity of having a pack of flares on board or the like.

I know I might bang on about it a wee bit from time, but I don't want to read about any AN Kayakers in the news for the wrong reasons. The sea can be a real mean bitch.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Hi Martin.

As you say the converted, but the occasional reminder dosnt hurt. :thumbs:

There are lots of us now with time in the saddle, but we are still getting new people here on Anglers Net, its good for them to see posts like SDDs,........ reality check and all that. :boat:

Nice post Dave........did the pants wash out ok :P:D:D

Hi Martin.

As you say the converted, but the occasional reminder dosnt hurt. :thumbs:

There are lots of us now with time in the saddle, but we are still getting new people here on Anglers Net, its good for them to see posts like SDDs,........ reality check and all that. :boat:

Nice post Dave........did the pants wash out ok :P:D:D

Hey Yakitty! :thumbs: I think I may have dramatised it a bit there Bill, in no way I was in any danger! I was just posting for the record, as the sea can turn on a sixpence and catch out the experienced as well as the newcomer! This is why I made the point that I turn back at the first signs and don't hang on for them "extra few minutes" :thumbs: Cheers Bill :)

SDD~~~ :sun:

I've never been out in/on a kayak, but there is an old saw that harks back to the days of sail, "When is the best time to reef (shorten) sail?" the answer is "When you first think about it." I'd SUGGEST that when out in a 'yak the best time to head for shore is the first time the thought runs through your mind.

Just my two bits worth, your mileage may vary.

I've never been out in/on a kayak, but there is an old saw that harks back to the days of sail, "When is the best time to reef (shorten) sail?" the answer is "When you first think about it." I'd SUGGEST that when out in a 'yak the best time to head for shore is the first time the thought runs through your mind.

??????????????? i have never flown a plane so would not comment on how to fly one :rolleyes: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

??????????????? i have never flown a plane so would not comment on how to fly one :rolleyes: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163:

SDD~~~~~ :sun:

:thumbs:

Fair do's corydoras a good suggestion and indeed exactly what I did :thumbs: especially with our weather lately! I think the weather people are stumped by it all! The shipping f/cast for the day was flat calm!

SDD~~~~ :sun: