Pike fishing

kestrel

For any FAS members the pike teach in dates are in your newsletter ,you cannot pike fish without attending one :thumbs:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fish for pike all year through

Not the same ones but river lake and loch depending on the time of the year and upon the prevailing weather at the time.

I've had some good fish this season especially during the early part of August whilst river fishing but conditions were better then with higher water levels and good rates of flow creating better oxygenated water but have'nt been river piking for about three weeks now due to low flow rates and a depletion in the oxygen levels. When I started catching fish with red flanks then that was the time to stop fishing for them. Prior to that they had been in pristine condition with proper camouflaged markings

Some of the lochs I fish are quite cold and oxygen rich so it matters not when you fish for pike as summer or winter the fish are in perfect condition but its nice to catch fish when the suns on your back instead of freezing your wotsits off in the middle of a blizzard

I start my piking when it feels right! That's usually cold and crisp with high pressure. There's plenty of other species to fish for so unless it feels right for pike I don't see the point. E.g. last year it didn't feel right all season, so I didn't really do any. Hopefully this year...

Come to think of it Anderoo that about sums up the way Ive been starting a lot of my Pike seasons in recent years.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I bet you mainly deadbait then Neil?

Mainly...that's why I'm looking forward to some cold weather...also a bonus when your baits don't thaw out and turn to mush !

Really getting into lure fishing though recentlydespite probably being the most complex form of pike fishing (and also the most expensive).

Recently I've been getting out early before the sun gets going and it's still nippy....can really feel (& smell) autumn & winter on it's way.

Not nice but always seem to get good action when it's nasty out

I think a few frosts would be good now though to get the pike feeding

Can't believe the way September has started, Early October could still be really warm the way the weather is going.

I may just spin in early October and wait till it gets cold and frosty before using baits.

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

What we really need to kick start the river piking back off is a weeks solid rain to reoxygenate the water and that will be enough to put some life back into fish that are for the most part just laid up and not feeding. Lack of oxygen just makes big predators torpid but when they are hungry enough and their bellies empty enough they will take a big dead it its right under their noses but they certainly don't go looking for them

A good weeks worth of rain and followed by some good high pressure will have them moving about and looking for a feed and if that happens then good catchs will be had with deads catching early on after a settled period with lives becoming the main baits when a few easy fish have been caught and the fishing gets that bit harder

Can't wait