Roach fishing - Lechlade

The Flying Tench

Niice pics, I did think that FT's friend may have described this stretch, but the Trout Inn is a possibility too, and it used to fish better. They do have a website so I will check the detail.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Niice pics, I did think that FT's friend may have described this stretch, but the Trout Inn is a possibility too, and it used to fish better. They do have a website so I will check the detail.

I have actually fished from the Trout Inn's camping field; or, rather, I've helped a friend's child catch her first fish from it! There's only really access to one swim from the campsite, where a sidestream enters. Did you fish from the beer garden, or from the opposite bank?

That's a good lunch break! It looks lovely. Probably best at dusk I imagine.

Yes, I was thinking that.

I was thinking about that quite a lot.

And how nice the weather is.

And how today is quite quiet work-wise, with most of the staff on holiday :whistling:

Edited by Steve Walker

I have actually fished from the Trout Inn's camping field; or, rather, I've helped a friend's child catch her first fish from it! There's only really access to one swim from the campsite, where a sidestream enters. Did you fish from the beer garden, or from the opposite bank?

Yes, I was thinking that.

I was thinking about that quite a lot.

And how nice the weather is.

And how today is quite quiet work-wise, with most of the staff on holiday :whistling:

I can imagine you edging towards the door, whistling, at this very moment :D Leave some for FT though eh? :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I think it must be the Riverside pub stretch that the bloke I met was talking about. I phoned the Trout, and they only sell tickets to the weirpool. £5. Could be good, but not what he was talking about.

But the guy did refer to a cafe. Is the Riverside pub at all cafe like, Steve? Thanks for your research and the photos, by the way.

john clarke

There is only one hump back bridge in Lechlade and that is Halfpenny Bridge, from Swindon you cross it and immediately turn left into a yard that has the Riverside cafe/pub if memory serves. Steve's picture with swans is on the opposite bank looking at cafe/pub patrons! The Trout Inn neither has a hump back bridge nor is it technically in Lechlade. I live 15 minutes away.

I think it must be the Riverside pub stretch that the bloke I met was talking about. I phoned the Trout, and they only sell tickets to the weirpool. £5. Could be good, but not what he was talking about.

But the guy did refer to a cafe. Is the Riverside pub at all cafe like, Steve? Thanks for your research and the photos, by the way.

Yes it is John, it does also sell a bit of fishing tackle and bait. But you do get a LOT of kids , dogs and so on that stretch, bit of a circus really, but probably OK midweek.

I know the swims by the bridge used to fish well, but the rest of the river is a bit ordinary. I think South Cerney AC used to have a stretch around there, by a road bridge, that was good, perhaps Ian FG could advise?

Edited by Rabbit

Well that was fun! By the time I'd picked up some bait, I got a couple of hours in from 5 until poor light and a hook in the keepnet stopped play. I fished the first swim by the bridge with a 5 No6 stick float, maggot and the 'pin. The shelf extends out about a rod length and then drops vertically to about 8 feet. Deeper than I expected, since I'd been told it was the shallow end, and I'd have gone for a bigger float if I'd guessed. So I fished about two rod lengths out, easy enough even with my (lousy) centrepin skills. Pretty much a roach a chuck from the start, none of them over about 4oz, along with a couple of slightly larger perch and some bleak. Very nice, classic stick float fishing, smooth, with just enough pace to trot.

The bleak moved in towards the end, and were getting slightly annoying, grabbing the bait on the drop. I think it would be well worth fishing hemp and casters to get through the smaller roach and the bleak. I took some bread, but didn't try it, but I counted 30 swans on the river so I'm sure it's worth a go. Also saw some big swirls of the "something just got eaten" variety, so I strongly suspect there are predators about. Worth a punt with a lobworm? There were a couple of kids spinning for pike, but they didn't look to know what they were doing. I liked the swim by the bridge, but I'm sure there are others, and the anglers I spoke to at lunchtime were couple of hundred yards upstream and thought it the better area.

Definitely worth an AN get-together there, possibly encompassing breakfast at the pub/cafe thing?

There is only one hump back bridge in Lechlade and that is Halfpenny Bridge, from Swindon you cross it and immediately turn left into a yard that has the Riverside cafe/pub if memory serves. Steve's picture with swans is on the opposite bank looking at cafe/pub patrons! The Trout Inn neither has a hump back bridge nor is it technically in Lechlade. I live 15 minutes away.

Thanks....,postal address of the Trout Inn is Faringdon Road Lechlade, and it is situated on a bridge but hasn't got the hump yet :D