Alderney Festival

Toerag

For those that didn't know, it's the Alderney Angling Festival this week. It's a week-long roving shore competition fished on a specimen basis with prizes for various species categories based on percentages of Bailiwick of Guernsey records. 2 weigh-ins a day, 'catch and release' encouraged.

I will try to get daily updates off my mate over there, but so far the following fish have been weighed in:-

2-12 golden grey mullet

1-2 garfish

3-7 black bream

I am expecting tope to feature heavily in the 'shark-like' category as a 48lb'er was landed the day before the festival started and quite a few have been taken in the past week.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know anyone who is fishing, but there are bound to be some good fish caught, so updates would be more than welcome.

Hope the weather is better than in Jersey at the moment!

B.A.S.S. member

Update - Last night was tope city, smallest on the 'other species' leaderboard is 39lb, and there's 5 places!! Biggest is 50-14-3 , new Bailiwick & C.I. record.

Other notable fish:-

conger - 39lb (small for the festival)

3 wrasse over 6lb, biggest 6-13 (ditto)

Grey mullet 5-5

Golden grey 2-10 (will be a new Sea Angler 'mission' record I think.)

No names other than the golden grey & garfish were caught by local Richard Smith.

[ 19. October 2004, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Toerag ]

Socksy Squirrel:

Could we have some names please.

I know a few people who are fishing it, it would be nice to know if they have caught anything.

:cool: Hopefully I shall have full results and pictures for the December edition of the SAN.

I can't be there myself this year as I am currently putting the November issue together.

Out at the end of next week, full cover of the World Shore Championships held at Chesil and the YYS week at Weymouth. The sacrifices I make.

Toerag:

Update - Last night was tope city, smallest on the 'other species' leaderboard is 39lb, and there's 5 places!!  Biggest is 50-14-3       Where is the nearest place i can get a flight over!!! Sounds Awesome!! Keep us updated, They mst be having some fun with them tope

Tight Lines

Shaun

Yeah, the locals started getting burnt thumbs and bite-offs when fishing for bream with squid baits a couple of weeks ago! General concensus is that the tope are feeding on huge numbers of cuttlefish which have come inshore, everything the Alderney commercial guys are gutting is stuffed with them. A couple of years ago someone landed a 65lb'er at Platte Saline beach which was foul hooked in a fin, so the potential for a new british record is well on the cards. The aforementioned Mr. Smith and his son anchored up 400yds out last week in their 21ft orkney and in an hour and a half hooked 10, landing 5 of them to 42lb. For more info check out www.alderneyangling.com and read the latest reports page. Although there hasn't been anything for this week it gives a good idea of the fishing in general. Unfortunately there's not likely to be any accomodation left Spur-hound!

Toerag:

Yeah, the locals started getting burnt thumbs and bite-offs when fishing for bream with squid baits a couple of weeks ago!  General concensus is that the tope are feeding on huge numbers of cuttlefish which have come inshore, everything the Alderney commercial guys are gutting is stuffed with them.  A couple of years ago someone landed a 65lb'er at Platte Saline beach which was foul hooked in a fin, so the potential for a new british record is well on the cards.  The aforementioned Mr. Smith and his son anchored up 400yds out last week in their 21ft orkney and in an hour and a half hooked 10, landing 5 of them to 42lb.  For more info check out www.alderneyangling.com and read the latest reports page.  Although there hasn't been anything for this week it gives a good idea of the fishing in general.  Unfortunately there's not likely to be any accomodation left Spur-hound!

:cool: I'm sure there must be some left. Ring the Alderney Tourist Board on 01481 822811 or Mark at Alderney Angling on 01481 824884, if there's a spare bed on the island, they'll know between them. There are flights from Southampton, Bournmouth and Brighton with connecting flights from the Midlands etc. Just tell them, "Norman sent you." :D

....Just don't expect many possibilities for travel home at the end of the festival!

More news:-

smallest Tope on the leaderboard is 41lb!

A Jerseyman called Steve Mullins has had the 50lber.

Derek Spear has had 8 tope and is solely fishing for them now as it's so much fun! Unfortunately the tope have completely dominated the 'best other species over 5lb' category so the 7lb small-eyed & 21lb blonde rays caught yesterday haven't been entered!

Best bass 7-2

best flatty plaice 3-7

smallest conger on the board is 32lb

[ 20. October 2004, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Toerag ]