back leads and anchor tubing

in-line

hi all

for a while ive been using leadcore to pin my line to the lakebed but after reading this forum and some of martin bowlers articles in the angling times i have decided to switch to anchor tubing for obvious reasons (fish safety)

just got a couple of quick questions first of all how long should the tubing be? i used to use about 3 ft of leadcore is it the same sort of length as that for tubing.

also i dont understand how the tubing stays at the lead end of your rig when you cast. even if you tuck it into the tail rubber, surely it will come out?

the other thing is how to use back leads and are these fixed onto the line(over tubing) or are they free to run up and down the main line. again, once you have cast the back lead could be 10m or so up the line

if anyone could clear this up for me it would be greatly appricated

cheers

in-line

hi all

for a while ive been using leadcore to pin my line to the lakebed but after reading this forum and some of martin bowlers articles in the angling times i have decided to switch to anchor tubing for obvious reasons (fish safety)

just got a couple of quick questions first of all how long should the tubing be? i used to use about 3 ft of leadcore is it the same sort of length as that for tubing.

also i dont understand how the tubing stays at the lead end of your rig when you cast. even if you tuck it into the tail rubber, surely it will come out?

the other thing is how to use back leads and are these fixed onto the line(over tubing) or are they free to run up and down the main line. again, once you have cast the back lead could be 10m or so up the line

if anyone could clear this up for me it would be greatly appricated

cheers

in-line

Hello,

I use about 18inches of tubing as anything longer can be a pain to thread. I use the narrow tubing from ESP as I feel the wider stuff is a little to stiff. It should fit tight enough in to the tail rubber of the safety clip. If not then you can use a little bit of shrink tube over the joint to hold it in place. Please don't glue them together. I use flying backleads and normal backleads (as long as there are no snags between me and the rig) I used to use these backleads from fox post-4584-1193780088_thumb.jpgbut since changing my rods I found that they would fit through the tip ring so I had to change to these

post-4584-1193779786_thumb.jpg they dont slide back as far as the fox's but they work ok. Either one should sit on top of the tubing, however If you do find that they start to slip down then you can use a very small rubber bead at the top end of the tubing.

I also use thesepost-4584-1193780224_thumb.jpg once the rig is in place. All you have to do is slide them down your line after you have cast out. I try to slide mine down past any marginal shelf there may be to ensure that my main line is as close to the bottom as possible.

I will use this nearly all the year through but sometimes in the winter I will leave both backleads off and fish slack lines and fish for line-bites to try and find the fish.

Hope this helps a little.

Ant

Edited by Anthony78

Effort equals reward!!

Well I have to admit I see no use in flying backleads. Mono sinks naturally so sits on the bottom at any kind of distance anyway. Ordinary backleads have their uses in certain circumstances but that's about it (IMHO). I do however use the esp anchor rig tubing - and about 18 inches of it. Primarily though to reduce tangles rather than anything else.

I should add that my maxim is always keep it simple. That's from rigs to leads, to anything else between me and the fish. Each extra bit you include introduces a potential weak link - so think about what you're doing and decide whether it's a help or a hindrance.

Rob.

Well I have to admit I see no use in flying backleads. Mono sinks naturally so sits on the bottom at any kind of distance anyway. Ordinary backleads have their uses in certain circumstances but that's about it (IMHO). I do however use the esp anchor rig tubing - and about 18 inches of it. Primarily though to reduce tangles rather than anything else.

I should add that my maxim is always keep it simple. That's from rigs to leads, to anything else between me and the fish. Each extra bit you include introduces a potential weak link - so think about what you're doing and decide whether it's a help or a hindrance.

Rob.

Ditto!

Tubing is there to prevent tangles when using a soft hooklink, nothing more. Mono sinks if you let it.

The more bling you stick on a rig, the more obvious it becomes. If in doubt have a look at it in the margins, and think seriously about how much of the branded plastic and rubber stuff is absolutely necessary :)

The best rig is a hook tied with a good knot on the end of the line and the best indicator is you watching the bait. Simplistic and romanticised perhaps ( :rolleyes: ) but each additional thing you add to your rig is another thing to go wrong.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Ditto!

Tubing is there to prevent tangles when using a soft hooklink, nothing more.

Rubbish!!!

Tubing helps to pin the line down and prevents the line from lifting the scales off the fish when it rubs against the flanks of the fish!!

Rubbish!!!

Tubing helps to pin the line down and prevents the line from lifting the scales off the fish when it rubs against the flanks of the fish!!

In theory. What if it's lying over a bit of weed or twig? Or a large stone? Or, in fact, anything? Maybe it pins the line down on a completely flat bottom, but in reality you have no idea what the lake bed is like unless you see it with your own eyes.

The original point of tubing was to prevent tangles. Using it for anything else achieves nothing.

The scales lifting thing is another piece if received wisdom which has very little basis in fact. Unless you use tubing when float fishing or floater fishing, why use it when legering?

:)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• 2 weeks later...
Anchor Tubing

Would anchor tubing help me keep my line on the bottom of a canal with boats constinally going ove it, if so how would i set this up,

S. Cooper

hey sandra,

i have found in the past that the only way to stop the pesky canal boats from picking up your line is to use back leads just of the shelf, i have tryed slack lines in the past and i find that the prop on the boats soon pick the lines up, so for fish safty i would stick to back leads

Tight Lines

Gav

Work Is For People That Dont Know How To Fish!!

Same as above Sandra.

Re Randals "rubbish" comment.....well "RUBBISH" back at yah :P So how long a bit of anchor tube do you need then and how many lifted scales have you actually seen that can definately be attributed to the mainline?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!