Mink Traps?

Elton

I just stumbled across these two traps today. The were either side of a ground level footbidge on a very small ditch, which is dry most of the year. There's a tiny amount of water in it now. The field is in the middle of nowhere. I only found them because my dog started licking them. To be honest, I can't see why mink would be a problem on this field - there are no animals for miles.

I did witness the aftermath of a rabbit slaughter there a couple of weeks back, but assumed it was the gamekeeper with his gun, as I know he does shoot some. As we've had a load of mixy lately, I assumed that he may have just had a successful night.

As you can see, they were just out of the water and baited with mackerel.

Are these mink traps and should I report them?

I tried ringing the EA, but:

1. The call was NOT free from a mobile, and

2. I was put in a queue and waited until my battery was virtually dead (to be fair, it was low anyway).

DSC00076.jpg

DSC00074.jpg

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I just stumbled across these two traps today. The were either side of a ground level footbidge on a very small ditch, which is dry most of the year. There's a tiny amount of water in it now. The field is in the middle of nowhere. I only found them because my dog started licking them. To be honest, I can't see why mink would be a problem on this field - there are no animals for miles.

I did witness the aftermath of a rabbit slaughter there a couple of weeks back, but assumed it was the gamekeeper with his gun, as I know he does shoot some. As we've had a load of mixy lately, I assumed that he may have just had a successful night.

As you can see, they were just out of the water and baited with mackerel.

Are these mink traps and should I report them?

I tried ringing the EA, but:

1. The call was NOT free from a mobile, and

2. I was put in a queue and waited until my battery was virtually dead (to be fair, it was low anyway).

post-2-1195036136_thumb.jpg

post-2-1195036170_thumb.jpg

They could well be there to protect water voles from predation. A stream I fish has lots of mink traps to help the re-introduced water voles put down some roots.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

A club I am in put several traps out a couple of years ago as a result of mink predation on our fish stocks. The paperwork and general hassle just to get permission to use them in the first place was incredible and then they had to be checked twice a day and any mink caught destroyed in a particular way so as not to cause them stress. At least two of the traps just disappeared which was odd as only about four of us knew where they were. After about three months I think that the total bag was three moorhens.

They could well be there to protect water voles from predation. A stream I fish has lots of mink traps to help the re-introduced water voles put down some roots.

I'd leave them be. They look like very good quality traps, so I would say they're being set by someone who knows what they're doing.

If theres a game keeper in the area he would of been out shooting in the mornings and might of seen one or two. It amazing what can turn up in the middle of what looks like barren farmland.

Mink along with being master fish, frog, vole and anything else that moves killers are also supreme egg theives. I should think a family of mink could do quite some damage to the local game population...

I never seen so many Mink in the Waveney Vallley as I have over the last year or two..

hi ime a trainee game keeper and i cant stress the importance of mink traping along water ways but theas traps wernt set by a keeper as their not cover up (mink love to investigate any dark hole and a coverd trap is 75% more likley to cach) and any keeper should know this i would however ask the farmer whos they are but i dout it if any one would poach mink

also dont whatever you do ever report mamal traps to the EA orRSPCA beacaus they remove them to "save the mink" and theas traps cost ALOT also it is just fuel for the anti blood sports activests and the likes of them ah well tally ho!!!

what people dont know dont hurt em

life is like a pube on a toilet seat some times you just get **** off

I'm just dishonest. You can always trust an honest man to be dishonest.Honestly, it's the honest man you need to look out for, because you never know when he's going to do something incredibly stupid." - Jack Sparrow

hi ime a trainee game keeper and i cant stress the importance of mink traping along water ways but theas traps wernt set by a keeper as their not cover up (mink love to investigate any dark hole and a coverd trap is 75% more likley to cach) and any keeper should know this i would however ask the farmer whos they are but i dout it if any one would poach mink

also dont whatever you do ever report mamal traps to the EA orRSPCA beacaus they remove them to "save the mink" and theas traps cost ALOT also it is just fuel for the anti blood sports activests and the likes of them ah well tally ho!!!

I think the Dead Otter thread the other day indicates the dangers of Irisponcible traps Granted that was a Cray fish trap but non the less If the traps are legal.... Baited and checked and in some cases have drinking water, the RSPCA can not and will not remove them They would infact be stealing them there is not an office block in the country without mouse traps /sticky pads and pioson bait traps the RSPCA would be over whelmed in Half an hour if they adopted an anti trap policy.

Elton They look like the Mink Traps we used to use on the Darenth we had to have drinking water in ours as they were only checked once a day they are as said usauly covered though, we also had a small plate on ours with a contact number on should they be stumbled apon.

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

i.m surprised they are openly displayed and not carried off by foxes.

no need for bait! covering it with undergrowth is good enough mink are very inqusitive but thats an amateurs trap the bait is too near the end and could be pulled within chewing distance ,double ended rat traps work far better ,the traps will disappear very fast by foxes if they are not tied to something with wire

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Are you talking about mink than have been bred and released into the wild for whatever reason or are mink native to the uk?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

hi mink are not native to the uk they whear relised or escaped from fur farms

ive also had lots go missing to 2 legged foxes!!!

what people dont know dont hurt em

life is like a pube on a toilet seat some times you just get **** off

I'm just dishonest. You can always trust an honest man to be dishonest.Honestly, it's the honest man you need to look out for, because you never know when he's going to do something incredibly stupid." - Jack Sparrow