AN Wobblethon - 24th February 2008

Anderoo

Good news Anderoo. Looking forward to it!

Do we get the day tickets on the day?

Yes, from the baliff on the bank. Are you still coming the night before Dant? I'm still planning to be zander fishing.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, from the baliff on the bank. Are you still coming the night before Dant? I'm still planning to be zander fishing.

Hello Anderoo..

Yep. I've dedicated that weekend to fishing. I'm going to give the upper Little Ouse a go during on the Saturday and then head over.

I'll join you for an evenings Zander fishing if thats ok. Let me know where and when. If you don't mind too much I could pick your brains about the Zander. My Z fishing experience is fairly minimal..

IF, the BBC long range forecast is to be trusted we could have some decent weather for the Pike fishing on the Sunday..

Hello Anderoo..

Yep. I've dedicated that weekend to fishing. I'm going to give the upper Little Ouse a go during on the Saturday and then head over.

I'll join you for an evenings Zander fishing if thats ok. Let me know where and when. If you don't mind too much I could pick your brains about the Zander. My Z fishing experience is fairly minimal..

IF, the BBC long range forecast is to be trusted we could have some decent weather for the Pike fishing on the Sunday..

I'm praying for good weather!

I'll PM you about the Zander, should be fun!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

OK, I've just sent a PM to everyone showing meeting points etc - please let me know if you didn't get it or if the link to the MS Local Live page is not working.

I'm not going to put any of this info on the public forum as it's not a private fishery and there's no need for anyone else to know where we'll be :)

WayneX2 and norfolkfisher, I couldn't PM you (I assume you haven't made the requisite number of posts). Please let me know an email address I can send the info to.

Sue, I sent the info for you and Tony to Tony only to save time - this isn't sexist, and I have no spare money, so please don't try to sue me :P

Ditto Andrew Burgess's mate - Andrew, please pass the info on to him.

Elton, hope to see you there!

Dant, I'll send a separate PM about the zander.

It's getting close! And it's starting to look like we'll be lucky with the weather, thank goodness. There are plenty of pike, so if conditions are OK we should do alright. These are wild river fish though, so nothing should be taken for granted (weaselly caveat :rolleyes: ).

Andrew

Part of the idea of this was to give people the opportunity to fish alongside someone more experienced, especially with unhooking. Looking through all the posts it looks like the following:

Volunteers to show someone the ropes: me, Budgie

Those who'd like to fish alongside someone: Will Wilkinson, stuchef, wayneX2, Mat Hilman, norfolkfisher

Anyone else?

Any more volunteers please?

I'm going to fish with Will W, as we've exchanged a few PMs recently, oh, and he's bringing a kelly kettle :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone :)

What I'm also planning to do - if I actually catch something :D - is take a series of photos showing the unhooking process to put up on the forum. It's actually pretty easy, but difficult to expalin without pictures. Feel free to do the same, just in case of the rare event (cough) of me blanking...

I was going to fish the Cut Off at Hilgay on Sunday but met a prematch gathering, they reckoned that the fishing was very poor and were in fact moving the match elsewhere. The concensus was that the Wissey was a better bet and was 'stuffed with fish around the A10 road bridge', now where have I heard that sort of thing before! There was one other chap setting up when I got there, a regular, so I moved a couple of pegs downstream (opposite the 4th boat on the map you have all received from Anderoo) I didn't get a single bite on either trotted stick float or groundbait feeder all morning whilst the pike rod with a float fished (but on the bottom) whole mackerel was just as still and untouched. By 12-30 I was seriously thinking of packing up and going elsewhere when the pike float started bobbing, a short wait then a strike set ito a dead log until after a minute or two it started off upstream towards me. A violent kick threw the hook and my float and Mackeral came hurtling out of the water. Half an hour later in the same spot in the nearside margin the float went a bobbing again, same dead log and, after a few minutes, one fish going awol. Another 40 minutes went by when the float started bobbing again and I eventually hooked into the dead log. A ten minute struggle saw a very large pike netted, I would be happy to claim 15lbs but I honestly think it was much nearer, if not over, 20lbs. An audience of 4 gave me a round of applause! Half a Mackeral back in the same spot and ten minutes later another pike of the same size came to the net. I reckon it was the same fish each time ( hooked it once more a little later but failed to land it) I only use a single size 8 semi barbless treble so I fully expect to lose more fish than I land. Of course, no scales and I had left the camera in the car. It does prove though that they are in there so be prepared. As to the roach, I eventually finished with half a dozen up to around 4 ounces. Can't get this weekend as we are collecting the grand dughter from Derbyshire and bringing her back to Norfolk for the week but I will be there for the gathering the following Sunday. Looking forward very much to meeting with you all.

Morning :) Small update:

Volunteers to show someone the ropes: me, Budgie, Chris Bishop (cheers Chris)

Those who'd like to fish alongside someone: Will Wilkinson, stuchef, wayneX2, Mat Hilman, norfolkfisher

Chris also reckons it's worth bringing some spinners as there are some decent perch around the cut-off bridges at the moment...

Ginger, nice one! That's a good fish. Let's hope some more like that are hungry in a week and a half's time...

Another quick update: the meeting point has been moved to just down the road to prevent us annoying the neighbours. If you look at your map, at pin 7 (access to other bank) there's a track, and at the end there's a small car park. That's where we're now meeting in the morning and the evening. Sorry about the confusion.

So, ignore pin 1 now.

Thanks

Andrew

I am so fed up this is on a Sunday, best of it is we have a free Sunday this week. I was going to arrange a 'catch up' match as we are a few behind but I have some of my team away, shame it couldn't have been next week. Maybe next year one could be arranged for a Saturday.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!