River Cottage+Carp

nursejudy

I have to say that it made me cringe when he was scaling and slicing the flank of the carp, don't get me wrong, i love eating fish and have got no problem with killing or gutting them. Just having grown up doing every little thing to protect the fish i catch it was just odd to me, I don't mind people eating carp and i would quite happily give it a go myself, i just worry, what with our influx of numerous eastern europeans that we will find people taking carp from our lakes and rivers, i know they'd be taking a swim if i found anyone doing it!

"Carp are hard to catch in the winter, that also goes for the spring, summer, and the autumn"

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that it made me cringe when he was scaling and slicing the flank of the carp, don't get me wrong, i love eating fish and have got no problem with killing or gutting them. Just having grown up doing every little thing to protect the fish i catch it was just odd to me, I don't mind people eating carp and i would quite happily give it a go myself, i just worry, what with our influx of numerous eastern europeans that we will find people taking carp from our lakes and rivers, i know they'd be taking a swim if i found anyone doing it!

Strange, very strange. :blink:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I was given a great recipe for carp recently.

Get yourself a carp of around 6 lbs and fillet, place in a saucepan cover with water, hold the fish flat with a housebrick, add 1 chopped onion, seasoning, some chopped tomatoes and bring to the boil. Allow to simmer for an hour.

Strain off the juice, throw away the fish and eat the brick!! :rolleyes:

Colin

Trout purists almost snear at Stocked Fish! as you no dought Know

'kin vermin ;-)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I was given a great recipe for carp recently.

Get yourself a carp of around 6 lbs and fillet, place in a saucepan cover with water, hold the fish flat with a housebrick, add 1 chopped onion, seasoning, some chopped tomatoes and bring to the boil. Allow to simmer for an hour.

Strain off the juice, throw away the fish and eat the brick!! :rolleyes:

Colin

I came to a similar conclusion. It seems to me that to make carp edible, you have to cook them with all kinds of exotic ingredients to disguise their poor taste. I can't imagine hardly any people in this country going to that much trouble, when for the same price, or possibly even cheaper, they could buy something that tastes far much better when simply slipped under the grill. I can only imagine carp having become a regular dish in places that were far inland and where sea fish were simply unavailable at the time.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.