My lovely local river.....

Janet

Hi guys,

My local river, the River Calder in Padiham is in line for an £80,000 grant from the National Lottery People's Millions to clear it up and make the banks more accessible, thanks to an inititative by the local council. Please, please, even if you're not in the Granada area, spare 10p to vote for us? It's only the cost of a local call. Apparently it has to be done tonight or it doesn't count. Please, please, press those buttons to support us!

It's a lovely river, stuffed full of magnificent brown trout, chub, grayling and other species and it's right at the end of my street, so I'm a bit biased! The initiative includes cleaning up the river, and making the banks more accesssible. It's such a shame to see a lovely river ruined. With your help, we can clear up the mess, the shopping trollies, the floating crap, and allow it to be the river it ought to be.

Please call 08702 433402 and vote for us!

Janet

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you manage to win the grant Janet. Clearing all that debris is an excellent idea.

Not sure I like the idea of clearing bankside vegetation but that is a cultural preference I think.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt, this is a very small river just crying out to be cleaned up and made more accessible. It flows through the very centre of town, but nobody seems to realise that it's there! It currently appears to be no more than a linear rubbish dump, and that's what we're hoping to change if we're successful with our bid. We want to make this lovely river accessible to all, and hope that eventually they'll realise just what a fabulous place it is, and treat it with the respect it deserves.

I'm sure this initiative will make it so much more accessible to everyone, not just us anglers. I wouldn't normally be in favour of clearing bankside vegetation etc, but in this case I think it's justified. This is a lovely river that deserves to be appreciated by more than just a few anglers. The more people we can encourage to the banks, the better!

Janet

That makes sense Janet.

Since I love to fish in really heavy cover, seeing how well groomed most UK rivers are gives me the shivers but a stretch running through town should be well kept and available to the public.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Brumagem Phil
As Brian says, what exactly are we voting against by voting for you?

I think you should be more concerned about the beating she will give you if you don't vote for her cause! :o:D

Sorry Janet, I missed this post, so couldn't vote. But there might be another chance according to your local paper.

http://www.burnleyexpress.net/padiham-news...tyle.3505799.jp

We don't get Granada, so you'll have to post up the number again, if it's changed.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I believe the voting closed at midnight last night, but there's nothing on the website to say who was successful. I'm assuming it will be broadcast tonight.

Unfortunately I'm going away for the weekend, so may not be able to get to a TV to watch it!

Fingers crossed... even if we don't win, at least we have a second chance.

Janet