No I ain't going!

Dick Dastardly

Went piking at first light, stuck it out until first rain, then packed up and ran for home at first opportunity. No point getting older if getting smarter doesn't kick in, too.

My tally of two jacks and a dropped run pulled my simple string, but, as I slob out on my criminally comfy couch, perfectly reclined near a warmly smiling radiator, I'm so glad I cut and run. A bacon sarnie is on approach, as is the footie on Sky, and my struggles with unseen underwater interceptors can wait another day. ;)

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked out this morning and Budgies title of "no I ain't going" sprang to mind !!

I deffo ain't goin today or tomorrow, if I caught a thousand fish it wouldn't be as good as listening to the wind drive the rain at the windows while relaxing in front of the woodburner.

Got on the river at half five yesterday evening. Chucking down with rain, blowing a gale, things weren`t exactly comfy. Thing is, the river looked perfect which is why I was there.

Three hours roving a flood stretch (i.e, no brolly or chair) left me a tad damp and muddy.

Seven barbel in three hours with the best going 10.04 was more than enough to put a smile on my face.

Made it all worthwhile!

Hell of a good result :thumbs: better than the footy err sorry :offtopic: .

But how do you manage rolling a fag in such conditions? and just when you really need one :lol:

Flasks of coffee help to dry the hands enough to bodge a smoke together but a lot got ruined either due to unexpected drips or barbel taking just as I was in the process of rolling!!!!!

The rivers probably even better today but work has beckoned and so I`m stuck looking out the window wishing I was down the river.......always got tomorrow though!

better than the footy err sorry

To say that was an embarrasing performance would be the understatement of 2007. We`re usually rubbish in front of the cameras but that was beyond a joke. Could have (should have) been five by half time and the 3-2 scoreline was quite flattering. Good job the ref didn`t know that Olif`s headers are always that bad and that a bit of shirt tugging had nothing to do with him stuffing it up!

wolf.gif

SEVEN barbs at this time of year is seriously good fishing, I still remember my best ever barbel haul in 2005 as seven barbs and seven chub in one swim on the Lower Avon in an afternoon, but in winter :notworthy:

The Tewkesbury area is again in flood the Severn over its banks, and generally its been fishing poor for months, I think I need to visit the Middle Severn when it's good to go.

Well I suppose the age old question is would you swap a double barbel for 3 points? :g:

I know I said that I wouldn,t be out but the weathermen were miles out ,the sun came out after dinner and there was no wind so I went on the canal with a few plugs and started getting follows nearly strait away,after 3 hours I had 4 jacks and lost 2 ,1 of which felt quite large.

Hell of a good result :thumbs: better than the footy err sorry :offtopic: .

But how do you manage rolling a fag in such conditions? and just when you really need one :lol:

i make a tin full the night before, that way it can blow as hard as it likes and i can still top up my nicotine.

gatso.gif

Well Accuweather says that the wind will drop tomorrow, so i'm off to my favourite water tomorrow to catch me a BIG Perch. This weather I catch a dozen or so, all between 1.5lb and 3.5lb so I recon I am a lucky chap to have found it!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Been sat looking out of the window since just before 6 this morning.I must either be turning into a wimp or getting sensible with age but Im not going today! Its miserable out there! :schmoll:

So am I losing it or some days is it just better to go back to bed?

Its not the rain or the wind that puts me off so much as the environment. With all the vegetation died back and the birds having flown south, those muddy London puddles are pretty bleak places.

Tony

I haven't been for quite some time now, and I can't say I'm really missing anything. I'd rather wait for decent conditions and make the most of it than slog away for the sake of it. I just had a very nice weekend of eating nice food, staying dry and watching films with the fire on, as the rain lashed at the windows and the rivers continued to get worse.

But we've got a week of dry weather now, so maybe by next weekend things will be looking different... I hope so, I still haven't managed a proper pike session (again :rolleyes: ).

Fishing shouldn't be an endurance test, if you don't feel like going, don't go! There are plenty of other things to do.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music