Chub Fishing

chili

In your opinion, what would be the best method to fish for chub on the nene (quite slow water), so what would be the best way for me?

I would say that the best way for you is to read up as much as you can about chub and then put those things into practice. That is how most of us learned about the fish we target.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Welcome to AN. This time of year I would target chub the same where ever I fish. If float fishing a nice bread flake pinched on the hook and trotted through is deadly as chub just love it. You can use bread mash or maggots as 'freebies' and maggot or lob worm are also good hook baits.

Ledgering, I would use one of the 3 above as hook baits and a feeder full of maggot or bread mash.

Both of these methods will catch you chub on any river.

Good luck

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

I would say that the best way for you is to read up as much as you can about chub and then put those things into practice. That is how most of us learned about the fish we target.

A fairly nonconstructive post sir!!!!

Surely the idea of forums such as this is for people to share ideas and pass on tips etc.

I am a new returnee to angling and feel I need all the help I can get from like minded people..

I notice that the original poster is also new to the forum...so perhaps is new to the sport too?

The chub I used to catch as a lad were usually caught on bread or big lumps of cheese!!!!

Happy days!!!!!

Hi Codger. Chevin was maybe a bit abrupt but his advice to read as much as possible (which would include reading advice from forums such as this one) and then trying things based on what you read actually is constructive.

I've only been near chub on my one, much too brief, visit to the UK but from what I read on here, I think cheese still works well for them.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thankyou for the advice posted.

I'm not new to the sport as such, ive tryed:

Float fishing

Feeder fishing

pole fishing

carp fishing

pike fishing

But they dont all completly apeal to me. i mean with carp fishing i get board easly with just chucking the bait out and waiting, never catch a thing. (it just isnt for me)

where as float fishing i do love, my biggest fishing have been caught under a tree with 2lb line and a No1 pole section. (carp that is 9lb mirrior)

I'm a young angler at 17 and would like to target the more finer fish that the UK has to offer, and seeing as fishing is my life i like to pick up tips from the more wise (wouldnt say old B) ) angler's out there.

I pick up things fast (if i enjoy them) and like to try new things, so im opting the centrepin and lonh trotting for my next method.

That may soundwierd a 17 yr old wanting to go out and centreoin fish instead for going to my local commercial and pulling out loads of 3lb plus fish on the pole, but i think that fishing truly has to be enjoyed by the banks on a cold winters morning with the sun creeping out above and some lillys to there left, while awaiting

that red letter day fish.

Good for you :) I couldn't agree more.

I don't know the Nene, but for winter chub I would try lobworm, bread or cheesepaste (not a bait I've done well with, but very popular and does catch well), fished with a leger/swimfeeder. Very general advice, but maybe someone who knows the river can help more. There used to be a video of chub fishing on the Nene on the AT website - the site's been redesigned but the video might still be there.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hi Chili,

Nice to see someone who realises that there is far more to fishing than just sitting down behind buzzers all day (and night). Too many younger anglers seem to think that going after Carp is what it's all about. Not that I hate Carp fishing as I still like to do it occasionally; but like you; I like active fishing and whenever I spend a hard nights Carping I sit there dreaming I was on the banks of the Kennet, Ouse or Lea after Barbel & Chub or Fishing for Tench & Crucians on our local estate lake.

In addition to the excellent advice already given so far by others on baits; another two good methods that you might like to try are either a light leger using Peeled Prawns or a nice freelined or legered Fat Garden Slug. I don't know the Nene or how it fishes but if it is anything like the rivers that I fish then it could be well worth trying as they can both be devastating for Chub.

If you use peeled prawns then make sure they are not the small anaemic ones especially this time of year; as they have far less flavour and can be next to useless. get the slightly larger pink coloured juicy ones (fresh or frozen) and fish them on a size 6 hook; the bites can be vicious if the chub don't already see a lot of them (see fig below showing how I hook my prawns)

PrawnMount.gif.

and if you are using plump garden slugs then hooksize depends on their size but I usually use a size 2 hooked once in their rear end.

Tight Lines

fish3eyed.gif

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Yes i dont see the point in sitting behind buzzers sometimes, i always remember that when im carp fishing i always wished that i brought a float rod and a few lobworms that i could just flick under the bushes and wait.

Thanks to everyone who gave me some tips on chub fishing, ive always wanted to catch a chub and i might just be able to do it.

I also wanted to break away from lakes abit because of the mass of bait that has to be chucked it to compete with other anglers.

Becuase when its packed its all about attracting fish to your swim from others, and i dont want to take from others, i just wanna enjoy my day.

Good luck with your chubbing.

Let us know how you got on when you fish the Nene

Tight lines.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)