Batten down the hatches

Chris Plumb

From the Metcheck home page...

"Added : Fri 7 December : 10:09GMT

Some exceptionally stormy weather on the way for Southern Ireland, South-west and Southern England this weekend as Storm Isaac rattles East across the UK.

Currently, the UK is in the wake yesterdays system. Strong North-westerly winds across much of the country, dragging down colder air which could well assist in some heavy snowfall for a time across higher ground in England and Scotland on Saturday, more on this in a bit.

To end the week it's sunshine and showers, heaviest in the West, some making it into Central areas with the best of the sunshine in the East.

Storm Isaac is currently an insignificant 1000mb depression just South-west of Newfoundland, however on Saturday the system takes a dramatic turn.

As Isaac pushes across the Atlantic on Saturday, so he deepens, eventually scraping around 955mb to the West of Ireland on Saturday night. The rain will already be across Ireland by Saturday morning, this will push quickly East during the day, however the wind is waiting in the wings like an over eager understudy waiting for his turn.

Some possible complications for a time as the front pushes in on Saturday. Low temperatures across much of England and Scotland will allow the rain to fall as snow initially for a time across the Pennines and Southern Uplands, perhaps down to 300m. More substantial accumulations are expected across the Scottish Highlands where the cold upper air hangs on for much of Saturday.

The winds push in late on Saturday evening, first affecting Southern Ireland then pushing into South-west England and then along the channel and into Southern England.

Winds of up to 70mph with gusts up to 90-100mph are expected across Devon and Cornwall during Sunday morning.

So, some really nasty weather on the way this weekend. If you have plans out and about in the South-west especially then please do take care. Some 40-45ft swells are also expected on Sunday across the South-west, perhaps best to leave the board and boat at home.

Take care out there and have an amazing weekend."

I wasn't aware of North Atlantic Depressions being given names ???

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

The last bad named storm Isaac was in 2006 but it does look like things are a little iffy for your area.

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/ukm.html?map=wave#map

Animate that map for wave predictions or click on the North Sea forecast where they are calling for some weather to force 10 or force 11.

Glad I am here and not there right now.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I don't know about Saturday and Sunday.

It's Friday down here in Cornwall. Howling gales all night, with tree and mild structure damage.

Not to mention the Hailstones !!

And it's going to get worse ????

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Woken by the wind this morning.

Then a strange howling started coming from the vents in the bathroom windowframe.

Looks like it's going to be rough along the Channel!

See:

http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-MSW-Sur...ts/1/swell/out/

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

We're up to storm force 10 in the Irish sea and south west of the UK apparently, although sea states are reportedly 'only' 6M waves at the moment. Over my area inland, looks like winds are just gusting up to 40 MPH tomorrow I think, which shoudln't be too bad <famous last words ;-) >

Rob.

hmmmm....must be a lot of people a bit concerned, i just tried to look in on metcheck, and it comes up as "too much traffic for server to cope with"................i think you need a bigger boat! :lol:

Site back up and running now...

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

It's ok while the wind is shrieking around your roof. The instant that shrieking suddenly ceases during a strong gust is the time to really start worrying. The crash a few seconds later tells you that you have good reason to worry. Just don't go outside!

Edited by chevin

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.